GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heys folks I need a bit of help. There is a tribute ride for a guy by the name of Jack Shoalmier on October 15, 2011. Jack was an avid off-road and street rider. He also did about 100 Iron Butt events. On Oct. 15, 2011 there is a tribute ride where a groupd of friends and motorcycle enthusiasts from all over the US will do a Saddle Sore 1000 in every State at the same time (1000 miles in 24 hours). While I live in California, I've agreed to fly to Maui to fill that void to attempt the SS1000 in this tiny land mass. So here is where I need help. There are no places in Maui that rent Goldwings (my ride of preference). Even MauiMoto the only Honda dealership on the island doesn't have any in stock. I'm looking for someone who might let me use or rent me their Wing for this one-day ride. The other thing I need is assistance in helping to plan a circular ride as I need to maintain a speed in excess of 50 mph for a LOOOONG time. If you know of anyone that can help make this happen, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll be renting an HD Electra or Ultra for the ride. While I know the island reasonably well, someone who has spent more time there than I could help me save time and make recommendations. This message board has helped me in the past with a variety of things and I have no doubt the motorcycle community will step up to the plate and offer suggestions and make this ride a success! Thanks for reading and I look forward to the positive responses. :thumbup:

California Kid (actually a long time rider... not a kid)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Having lived on Maui for 8 years ('76-'84), doing a SS1000 there is very challenging....and manitaining 50+ MPH! Unless Maui has greatly improved it's road system (which I doubt) and will keep all the tourists off the mopeds, I would ask you to consider shifting your ride to the Big Island, where there is enough 'road' to use for your ride. Since you said in every state, this would work also. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Last year I rented a BMW K1200GT from a place near Kaanapali Beach....can't remember the name of the place, but he was not affiliated with a dealer.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sorry - I had to rent a Road King from EagleRider near Kaanapali.
I rode it about 200 miles and saw almost all of Maui. Does the Road to Hana go all the way around and connect on the south side?
Also - I don't think the road is complete around the northwest side of the island either.

Wish you the best on this.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I rode it about 200 miles and saw almost all of Maui. Does the Road to Hana go all the way around and connect on the south side?
Also - I don't think the road is complete around the northwest side of the island either.

You cannot maintain a speed of anything close to 50mph on the road to Hana. I agree with a previous poster that you should head for the big island. Even staying away from the most congested areas, completing an IB 1000 on Maui is really looking for trouble. Either that, or you're going to find a deserted road and ride back and forth about 500 or more times!

·
Registered
689 Posts

The road around the Northwest as of 15 yrs ago was a complete paved route, however it is a goat path and 50 mph would be a death wish. Alot of bind corners and most of it is a single lane road. I had to back up a couple of times because of on comming traffic so we could pass.

·
Registered
356 Posts
+1 for the big Island. Maui is just about impossible to this task. Unless you can find someone to let you ride the Maui Raceway. Now that would be worth looking into. They have a road course can't remember how long it is.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
When I was there last year the road that runs beyond Hana had been damaged by an earthquake 3-4 years ago and was closed. I was told by some locals that it was slated to re-open in a few months. As a side note of interest, Charles Lindbergh is buried on the south end of Maui.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Forgot the member name but he was at Applecade and wrecked the next week on the Blue Ridge and totaled his bike. Got a new one and continued his visit. He lives in Hawaii and leads rides and rents out bikes to tourist. Think hard Bartman. We met him again up in Knoxville at Honda Hoot. He's first name was Rob I think?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Having lived on Maui for 8 years ('76-'84), doing a SS1000 there is very challenging....and manitaining 50+ MPH! Unless Maui has greatly improved it's road system (which I doubt) and will keep all the tourists off the mopeds, I would ask you to consider shifting your ride to the Big Island, where there is enough 'road' to use for your ride. Since you said in every state, this would work also. Good Luck!
I could not agree more. We've seen a lot of roads on Hawaii, Oahu, Kauai and Maui. I can't imagine trying to do an SS1000 on any of them (tough to maintain 50mph for hours anywhere) but the Big Island may be your only real shot. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SS1000 on Maui

Well guys this is very disappointing indeed. I appreciate the input but I already bought the plain ticket. This is going to be tough, if not impossible! I will contact the Wing Tour guy. Thanks for that post.

Waiting for some positive suggestions. The Maui raceway is an idea... geeez

Kid:eek:4:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zaT111

I have an e-mail into Gary at TOurs of Hawaii and awaiting a response. Thank you very much for that lead.

Kid. :thumbup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Saddle Sore 1000

Well, there has been a change in plans. The Big Island appears to be the spot for this ride and is doable. I REALLY appreciate your comments as it made a lot of sense. Since this is a tribute to a long time IBA rider I don;t want to be the only guy/girl who doesn't carry his weight. Hawaii here I come. If you want to see a SPOT device go around the Island 5 times I'll put the link on future posts here. I did have to buy additional airline tickets to get from Maui to Kona... this is getting expensive!

Kid

·
Registered
714 Posts
I stand corrected. After all we were on a cruise and I couldn't keep track of all the islands. Had a lot of fun though. Wish they would build a bridge to Hawaii so I can ride my GW there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts