GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hazard button is sticking. I've read the threads about the problem but I don't know how to get that panel off so I can lubricate the button. How do you take that panel off? :roll:

wingdinger63

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
First off, do you own a crowbar and a sledge hammer?

It is easy!! I have done it....just carefully take off the "Trim Piece" and it will all become very clear.. Wait for a few more posts before you tear into it!

Good Luck

Matt(BCNV) :tongue:

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can do it.

Grab the trim piece connecting the fairing with the faux tank with your finger tips and pry it away from one edge. Be careful with it and you'll see that it's easier the second time.

Then it's just one bolt to get to the panel you're interested in.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If your bike is still under warranty, take it in and make THEM replace it. They have to replace that entire panel because they weren't bright enough to stock just the switches. Maybe they'll learn.

Otherwise, search here and you'll find a post someplace listing a source for just the switch.. it's a poor design..

You can do it.

Grab the trim piece connecting the fairing with the faux tank with your finger tips and pry it away from one edge. Be careful with it and you'll see that it's easier the second time.

Then it's just one bolt to get to the panel you're interested in.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
If your bike is still under warranty, take it in and make THEM replace it. They have to replace that entire panel because they weren't bright enough to stock just the switches. Maybe they'll learn.

Otherwise, search here and you'll find a post someplace listing a source for just the switch.. it's a poor design..
AMEN!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems like that panel is bolted from the inside. Tomorrow I will look at that trim piece. I took the pocket out and the back plate to the panel. I should just squirt the back of the switch with wd40 and see if it will start working again.

wingdinger63

·
Registered
390 Posts
Don't take any thing apart! Just shoot a little wd40 in the switch, work it a little. Mine stuck on a honor fight ride. I keep a small can of Honda cleaner in my backrest bag. Pulled it out while riding shot a little in the switch worked it a little while riding down the rode. Freed it self in 15 miles.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I too do the WD40 from the front on all my buttons.. occassionally i will open everything up and give it a shot of white lithium grease. that works longer and better . Try the wd 40 first..then work the button over and over..spray it right into the crack between the button and the casing

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I saturated mine with silicon spray last year and it has not stuck. I test the button every month or so.

I am a WD-40 fan but I have read posts that say it actually acts as a degreaser and will do more harm than good. That is why I used the silicon instead.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Use something designed for electronics....won't hurt the plastic, wire insulation, etc. Radio Shack used to have a Tuner Cleaner.....I personally use a product called Jiffy Bath (had enough requests for it that we stock it too).

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I have removed the switches and disassembled and cleaned and relubed several times. The dielectric grease I used (Permatex) may be exactly like Honda's product, becasue it does the same thing, gets stiff and tacky after about 2 years. So, I tried the Radio Shacke Electronics Cleaner (about 8+ toad skins per) and so far, so good with one little negative. The Radio Shack product tends to soften and lighten the decal on the face of the switch panel of the handle bar units. I suggest those surfaces be maked first.

If the bike is not in warranty, and you are good at working with small springy parts, then fix it yourself. Fred Harmon's photo web page has a series covering this, not sure if our How To section does or not. A service manual is a valuable source for removing body parts and other things. To remove the side trim strip take great care to not break it, it is way expensive! All body parts seen to have skyrocketed in price of late. That strip is r emoved from BOTTOM to top (the manuals some times state that incorrectly), gently lift the bottom edge out and then go side to side with the other attachements. The top tab simply slides up into the cowl a little. Loosen the flange bolts down the side and then remove the flange bolt that goes through the tap in the panel. The little scrrew that holds the switch are JIS and most minielectronics tool kits have those as does your Honda tool kit.

prs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I did take the trim piece off. I took out the one bolt and there was one clip on the panel that needed to be depressed(same side as bolt) and the panel slides out to the left. Then I took off the back plate to the panel. I wrapped the panel in a towel and squirted electric cleaner into the switch several times and that did it. Thanks for all the help!

wingdinger63

·
Registered
246 Posts
Update:

I did take the trim piece off. I took out the one bolt and there was one clip on the panel that needed to be depressed(same side as bolt) and the panel slides out to the left. Then I took off the back plate to the panel. I wrapped the panel in a towel and squirted electric cleaner into the switch several times and that did it. Thanks for all the help!

wingdinger63
I agree that from the back is the best way and use Radio Shack Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant.

The easy and safe way to remove the trim is to slide a credit card under to release the tabs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts