GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
IronMan
17,090 Posts
IF GAS WAS STILL $4 A GALLON "MAYBE" JUSTIFIED FOR SOME ! NOT ME ! :serious::wink2:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I think HD has dropped the ball on this......being an HD "guy" I don't have an issue with an electric bike, but at almost $28K I don't think they will sell very many. The Zero electric bike with the "big" battery is just $14K and will allegedly get 179 miles from a charge.....223 miles if you opt for the $3K "power tank". The only thing HD has going for it in this market segment is a good dealer network. At $10-12 K they might have attracted some interest, but not at a $28K price point.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Harley missed by a mile on the Livewire. It’s nothing more than an expensive novelty bike.

Might sell a few to collectors. Might sell a few to well heeled millennials. But it needed to be priced below $15,000 to make it a compelling alternative to petrol burning bike and attract younger riders.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
I think HD has dropped the ball on this......being an HD "guy" I don't have an issue with an electric bike, but at almost $28K I don't think they will sell very many. The Zero electric bike with the "big" battery is just $14K and will allegedly get 179 miles from a charge.....223 miles if you opt for the $3K "power tank". The only thing HD has going for it in this market segment is a good dealer network. At $10-12 K they might have attracted some interest, but not at a $28K price point.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS RIGHT HERE!!!

Top of the line is just a bit over $20,000 for a fully-equipped Zero DSR.

Yup - a bit too much.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
It is a pretty nice looking machine...but only the very rich will buy such a machine. I could never see myself buying a electric motorcycle...not that I wouldn't love to take a ride on this machine, I'm sure it would be fun to take a ride on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Harley done goofed with this, they've designed and priced themselves right out of the market. The Zero has almost twice the range at less than 2/3 the price!

My 2018 GW DCT gets twice the range, has storage, is more comfortable, has a windshield (adjustable!), accelerates nearly as fast (0-60 of 3.5s vs my 3.9s), I also have torque on demand and I also do not have a clutch or shift lever. And it cost many thousands of dollars less than $29,000.

I think I'll keep my Goldwing, no thanks. This is going to sell terribly, what a shame for HD.

·
Registered
805 Posts
30K,...... the top brass at HD is out of touch with the real world.
YES! And they have been for a long time now.

When I looked at the price, I couldn't believe it. Not only is it $30K, but that $30K doesn't buy you anything but a basic bike....no bags, windshield, etc.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
i think hd has dropped the ball on this......being an hd "guy" i don't have an issue with an electric bike, but at almost $28k i don't think they will sell very many. The zero electric bike with the "big" battery is just $14k and will allegedly get 179 miles from a charge.....223 miles if you opt for the $3k "power tank". The only thing hd has going for it in this market segment is a good dealer network. At $10-12 k they might have attracted some interest, but not at a $28k price point.
i agree with driver, but few green freaks will go for it. It would be a awesome thing if all vehicle were power by electric or hydrogen fuel cell . All the worlds evil will whether on the vine.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
This goes to show that Harley is not as far along in development as they claimed they were. I imagine just about any mfr working on electric bikes could put something on the market for 30 grand. I'm sure they must be doing this just to get feedback from the public. Surely they don't seriously expect that people are going to buy that bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I test rode a Zero in Tulsa. Wow! Head snapping torque. It is weird being able to hear all the noises around you, people talking, their music, their gear changes.
That Zero Dealer is just a little far away for me. There have been lots of reports of numerous return trips to the dealer, and I don’t want to have to rent a trailer every time. But it sure would be fun for exploring back roads or riding through the woods. Good looking, too.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts