GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
**** the limited miles will work for most HD riders, they just get up Saturdays and ride down to the dealerships and eat hot dogs! The charge mileage was only if rode in a urban setting, Stated that highway mileage would be considerately lower.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Harley done goofed with this, they've designed and priced themselves right out of the market. The Zero has almost twice the range at less than 2/3 the price!

My 2018 GW DCT gets twice the range, has storage, is more comfortable, has a windshield (adjustable!), accelerates nearly as fast (0-60 of 3.5s vs my 3.9s), I also have torque on demand and I also do not have a clutch or shift lever. And it cost many thousands of dollars less than $29,000.

I think I'll keep my Goldwing, no thanks. This is going to sell terribly, what a shame for HD.
To be fair, despite the price, don't compare the Livewire to a Goldwing. It's a different category of bike. The Wing would obviously beat it in comfort and range. Wing owners are not the type of riders that the Livewire is aimed at.

It is most comparable to something like a Kaw Z800 or a Suzuki SV650. I would not expect more comfort out of the Livewire than one of those bikes. Range is only an issue due to the lack of charging stations available, so they need much longer range than equivalent gasoline bikes to be even marginally useful.

Based on the type of bike it is, the Livewire is competing against a category of bikes that sell in the $7000 to $8000 range. You could expect early adopters in that buying market to go for a $10,000 electric bike, but $30,000 is just insane. At that price, the only people you will attract are the likes of Jay Leno, and other enthusiasts with bottomless wallets that will want it for their collections. Other than that, the Livewire is a long ways from being a mainstream bike.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
AT $30,000. the Livewire will be DOA, dead on arrival

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Yeah, okay...um...

<...>Based on the type of bike it is, the Livewire is competing against a category of bikes that sell in the $7000 to $8000 range. You could expect early adopters in that buying market to go for a $10,000 electric bike, but $30,000 is just insane. At that price, the only people you will attract are the likes of Jay Leno, and other enthusiasts with bottomless wallets that will want it for their collections. Other than that, the Livewire is a long ways from being a mainstream bike.
As I mentioned before:

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=226

Adding the Power Tank add-on doubles the range. The commuting (city) mileage is in the 200 range, highway is still limited to ~100 miles.

Wait - better specs *and* $10k cheaper.

Now, why would a person buy this cycle again?

Oh, yeah, it'll need the H-D approved charge cord:

:joke:

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Website with more info.

I think it's a really cool product but like most of you all I feel it's a non starter, it's priced in a range that I feel is keeping most buyers from buying motorcycles in the first place. That may just be the strategy of manufacturers, maximize profits per unit and you don't have to sell as many to be profitable. It's hard to believe that many motorcycles exceed the cost of some cars and SUVs.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/future-vehicles/livewire.html?source_cd=social_P_FBIG_LiveWirePre-OrderBNR_011819_v1&utm_source=social&utm_medium=FBIG_LiveWirePre-OrderBNR&utm_content=P_011819_v1

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good luck getting anyone to drop that kind of $$ for that. Another overpriced HD. They are trying to attract the millennials who for the most might spend that kind of money on some nice BMW car but for a motorcycle with that limited range? It might appeal to their "Save the Planet" mentality but I just do not see it attracting many. I think HD is in real trouble. The world is changing fast and they are not keeping up. Harley Dinosaur might be an appropriate name for their company pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Okay, I think it has been pretty well established that the bike is way overpriced and that the range is poor. it shows that they have a long way to go before it is competitive with regular motorcycles.

Besides the fact that it is stripped down to the bare essentials, obviously to save weight and cost, I wonder how it rides and performs. If they don't at least have the basics nailed down, the whole exercise is kind of pointless

·
Registered
469 Posts
This weekend there has been a semi-truck load of HD Livewire electric motorcycles running around Huntington Beach.
The local HD Dealer is an authorized seller and will be stocking them, and as part of a promotion, the HD Factory has brought in a load of demo bikes.
This week is also the US Open Surfing contest here at the beach, and the little hooligan Livewires are everywhere here on Pacific Coast Highway and Main Street.
They make a pretty good "gear whine noise" while accelerating.
I test rode a prototype about 5 years ago, and it was a lot of fun to ride, so I am sure the production model is a real hoot to blast around on.
Jefro.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I've ridden the Harley Live Wire and it is definitely impressive. But at $30,000 with a 80-100 mile range my thought is that at half the price and twice the range I might be a customer. It would appear the Zero Motorcycles has at least met half of my hopes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just don’t see electric motorcycles amounting to any more than a mere novelty.

Too bad HD has wasted capital on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
.....I just don’t see horseless carriages amounting to any more than a mere novelty. Too bad Mr Benz wasted capital on this......
There, I fixed it for you.

My prediction for the future is that the few gasoline stations that remain will ONLY be visited by hotrods and classic motorcycles, and gas will be around $25 a gallon.

PS: No disrespect intended for your opinion, but our last California governor SERIOUSLY tried to outlaw all gasoline engines in the entire state. And I expect this next governor WILL make that happen.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There, I fixed it for you.

My prediction for the future is that the few gasoline stations that remain will ONLY be visited by hotrods and classic motorcycles, and gas will be around $25 a gallon.

PS: No disrespect intended for your opinion, but our last California governor SERIOUSLY tried to outlaw all gasoline engines in the entire state. And I expect this next governor WILL make that happen.

My prediction is that you will see the light and leave California. There is a reason it’s called the land of fruits and nut, and it has nothing to do with agriculture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 102 Posts