GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a garmin 2720. Not experienced creating/loading routes.

Will the Harley Road planner site work with the 2720?

If not, what site is best for this model? Thanks

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I bought my 1st ever GPS (Garmin 2720 w/MapSource (MS) about 4 years ago. Never wanted a GPS, and enjoyed getting "lost" on my own. Once I bought it, I muddled my way through learning how to use it and how to use the MS software. Since it's all I know, I like it and feel that it's a fairly simple routing software to learn and use. I've taken about 20 trips to places that I've never been before, and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If your Garmin accepts routes, then the HD Ride Planner will work for you. I use it all of the time and it's really easy.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The HD ride planner worked great on my 2820. Much easier and faster than the Garmin software. Just remember once you've built your route and loaded from the HD Site into Mapsource or Roadtrip (Mac) don't forget to select "Recalculate route" before exporting into the 2720. If you don't do this, your routes will show up as a straight line route or point to point and not be attached to the roads.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have a Mapsource file containing 123 Routes and 438 Waypoints organized in 16 separate categories (in the Favorites section of the unit).
I can click on any category such as "Restaurants" and only the restaurants I put there will show up. This is using a storage card in a Zumo 665.
I can also select any Route I have created on my PC and navigate it.
The only limitation you have is the number or Routes and Waypoints your particular Garmin unit is designed for.
The 2720 has the same capabilities if it is similar to the Streetpilot 2820 except the number of Routes and Waypoints is slightly less.
Each time you add, delete or modify a Mapsource route you merely connect your Garmin GPS to a USB port on your PC. Click on send to device and a pop-up will appear showing all devices found. Just click on your device and hit send with the mouse button.
When you use the device the first time after a reload, give it a minute or two to digest the data you sent to it.
I wish anyone could post any generic program that can do these functions.
All tools to create Routes and Waypoints are at the top of the PC Mapsource program and will explain its function as you drag the cursor across it.
A fifth grader should be able to create Waypoints and simple Routes using the Routing and Waypoint tools in a day or so. It is a good idea to go into "Preferences" and change the default degrees formate to decimal degrees.
That way you can put "Google Maps" on your PC and click in anything you see in either the map or satellite mode followed by the "whats here click". The coordinates will appear at the top of the page in decimal degrees ready to use in Mapsource. Mapsource & Google maps are the most powerful combination for navigation that you will find for your GPS.
Waypoints & Route names can be changed by simply retyping the new names in the properties function invoked using the selection tool.
Look at the tutorial Bartman posted showing how to change a Route by simply dragging it with the selection tool.
It is a simple program that is a lot less work than fooling around trying to make a generic program work on a Garmin :nojoke:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
How can I get a copy of "Mapsource"?

Joe in Modesto

comes free with your registration of your garmin.... I think you can buy at staples and target....

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a Mapsource file containing 123 Routes and 438 Waypoints organized in 16 separate categories (in the Favorites section of the unit).
I can click on any category such as "Restaurants" and only the restaurants I put there will show up. This is using a storage card in a Zumo 665.
I can also select any Route I have created on my PC and navigate it.
The only limitation you have is the number or Routes and Waypoints your particular Garmin unit is designed for.
The 2720 has the same capabilities if it is similar to the Streetpilot 2820 except the number of Routes and Waypoints is slightly less.
Each time you add, delete or modify a Mapsource route you merely connect your Garmin GPS to a USB port on your PC. Click on send to device and a pop-up will appear showing all devices found. Just click on your device and hit send with the mouse button.
When you use the device the first time after a reload, give it a minute or two to digest the data you sent to it.
I wish anyone could post any generic program that can do these functions.
All tools to create Routes and Waypoints are at the top of the PC Mapsource program and will explain its function as you drag the cursor across it.
A fifth grader should be able to create Waypoints and simple Routes using the Routing and Waypoint tools in a day or so. It is a good idea to go into "Preferences" and change the default degrees formate to decimal degrees.
That way you can put "Google Maps" on your PC and click in anything you see in either the map or satellite mode followed by the "whats here click". The coordinates will appear at the top of the page in decimal degrees ready to use in Mapsource. Mapsource & Google maps are the most powerful combination for navigation that you will find for your GPS.
Waypoints & Route names can be changed by simply retyping the new names in the properties function invoked using the selection tool.
Look at the tutorial Bartman posted showing how to change a Route by simply dragging it with the selection tool.
It is a simple program that is a lot less work than fooling around trying to make a generic program work on a Garmin :nojoke:
I started out with a new Garmin a year ago. At the time I downloaded and worked with Mapsource and HD Ride Planner at the same time. Personally, I found HD Ride Planner to be an easier program to use and it works just as you describe above. Although I don't have that many routes stored, I have maybe 30 routes and each route averages about 10 waypoints. You simply drag the route around creating waypoints, save the route, connect the Garmin and push a button. From your description, it sounds the same as Mapsource. There's no fooling around as you describe.

As for most people it's what one becomes familar with. I would suggest to anyone to try both and see which one they like better. As I remember, Mapsource is not always free. The HD Ride planner is free to anyone.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I did not get mapsource when I registered any of my Garmins. On their web site, it says it is only available with the purchase of maps on CD or DVD. I have just downloaded my map updates. Never got a disc.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I did not get mapsource when I registered any of my Garmins. On their web site, it says it is only available with the purchase of maps on CD or DVD. I have just downloaded my map updates. Never got a disc.
All you had to do was go to Garmin's site and find the Garmin unit you purchased. Then click on "Whats in the Box".
Some units only have maps and firmware on the GPS while others have Mapsource included on a disc so you can install it on your computer.
If not included, you get a choice of downloading or getting the disc.
Some units can not accept data from Mapsource from a computer.
There are units like the Nuvi 500 that does not come with the disc yet with a storage card it will accept all the routes and waypoints (in categories) that I have on my Zumo 665 (124 routes plus 438 waypoints in 16 categories).
If your missing a disc that is shown as included, you need to call Garmin. They have always fixed up any problems I have.
They don't worry much about software theft since their updater is a server that knows all about your GPS as soon as you try to do an install :nojoke:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts