GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to order some stuff from HDL.

The problem is that I understand that I will need to do it on the internet. The problem with that is that I don't send credit card info on the net. (Call it experience with computers, encryption and the military). The question is: Can you set up a secure account with HDL on the telephone with them having your credit card info and then providing a password when you do an internet order?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I am not sure if what you are asking can be done or not. Here is a suggestion though. Call them Monday at: 1-888-693-1011 and ask them about it. I am sure if it can be done they will do it for you.

Just for the record, I have ordered several times from them ( HDL) on the internet and have never had any credit card problems. There were some problems reported in the past but I have been lucky and had none. The only problem I ever had was knowing what items were backordered and what items were not.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5Ross thanks for the input.

I'm not so much concerned with HDL having my info. I'm more concerned with general internet security. My feeling is that any code can be broken and after 27 years in the computer business and working with ECM in the air force before that. I know that new encryption methods are developed for one reason...someone broke the old one. I don't put any banking or other info that could be used by a crook on the internet.

I'll call them on Monday.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Crossrodes said:
5Ross thanks for the input.

I'm not so much concerned with HDL having my info. I'm more concerned with general internet security. My feeling is that any code can be broken and after 27 years in the computer business and working with ECM in the air force before that. I know that new encryption methods are developed for one reason...someone broke the old one. I don't put any banking or other info that could be used by a crook on the internet.

I'll call them on Monday.
Do you use your credit cards at Wal Mart.....or a restaurant. You are at more risk in those environments than the internet.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
[url=http://www.isoc.org/oti/printversions/0198prconklin.html said:
e-OTI[/url]]When compared with telephone transmissions and sending orders through the mail, transmissions of information over the Internet are inherently much more secure. The basis for this statement is founded on the following facts:

• The information traveling through the Internet is encoded and it can be encrypted. It is unrecognizable in its raw form.

• The format of the message traveling over the Internet is not publicly known.

• The message that flows over the Internet is parsed into several small pieces called packets.

• The nature of the Internet could cause the message packets to travel different paths to the destination.
[url=http://www.isoc.org/oti/printversions/0198prconklin.html said:
e-OTI[/url]]I'm no statistician, but I think the odds are better that one of you will be struck by lightning rather than have your credit card account number stolen from an Internet transaction.
[url=http://www.kmrconsulting.com/creditcard.html said:
KMR Consulting[/url]]The fact is that the vast majority of businesses are legitimate. Nevertheless, you can reduce the odds of being victimized by verifying the company independently before placing an order. Call the Better Business Bureauand the Attorney General of the state in which the business resides to see if anyone has complained about it. Asking the company itself for references may be interesting but doesn't prove anything--the "references" may be part of the scam.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Crossrodes said:
I'd like to order some stuff from HDL.

The problem is that I understand that I will need to do it on the internet. The problem with that is that I don't send credit card info on the net. (Call it experience with computers, encryption and the military). The question is: Can you set up a secure account with HDL on the telephone with them having your credit card info and then providing a password when you do an internet order?
I personally think you are being overly concerned. But, the best work-around is to talk with your credit card company and they will likely have a program to provide you with a single use credit card number. The number is only usable one time with a specific vendor. Therefore, even if someone were able to intercept it, it would not be usable any other place or time.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
CJS said:
... I personally think you are being overly concerned. ....
I agree. Besides, credit card companies don't hold you liable for credit card fraud.

However, for my convenience (if a credit card has to be canceled because of fraud) I have a card that I use ONLY on the Internet. And, I make sure when I do use it that it is a secure SSL connection to the host site. I've never had a problem with any transaction over the Internet, however, my wife has been a victim of credit card fraud three times and had never used her card on the Internet. Hasn't cost her a penny. The card company canceled her number and issued her a new card with a new number and she had it in a few days. As someone said, you are more likely to have a problem by using your card at a restaurant... or Wal-Mart.

Also, if you have to talk to someone at HDL by phone regarding a purchase during an Internet sale you lose the discount. That's always been Hal's rule and I doubt it's any different this time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the sell includes Warrantee? And if so can the Warrantee be purchased when a extended warranty is ready to run out?
A friend of mine has a 2001 and his warranty runs out this spring and he is wanting to re up it. Thanks David

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The old "I won't use my credit card on the internet because I don't want to take the chance that it will be stolen!" is one of the biggest misconceptions today. Most crooks don't really care about your single transaction, that is just too much hassle. What they are looking for are the open databases with lots of credit card numbers. And there are plenty of these out there.

So, let's say you decide the best thing is to "call in" your number. Well, guess where that number goes when you call in, it goes in the same database as those who are using the internet. So, if a database is compromised by a crook, it doesn't really matter if you have used the internet or called it in, it will still be stolen.

This same concept applies to use of online banking. Some will not use online banking for fear of exposing their account to internet crooks. If the bank you are using has online banking, your account is still exposed, to the same degree, to the internet, whether you use online banking or not.

Personally, I have gotten over all of this and love to use online banking and purchasing since it significantly reduces the hassle for me.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
rooksd1 said:
... And if so can the Warrantee be purchased when a extended warranty is ready to run out?
Nope. The extended warranty covers only years four thru seven. That's it, you can't extend it again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buy a VISA gift card - put the amount you need on it then purchase online. When the card has no value left throw it away.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Hal covered it from my perspective, the Boss only allows me to use PayPal period. If folks I wanna buy something from don't take it I'm outta luck, her rules and she is the one with the $$$ brains, I just drive and do the physical parts. :wink:

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Use PayPal. Thats one of the good ways to use it.
thats a very good tip for anyone with money in a paypal account, no fee to use your money that way

use a paypal card to get your own cash from a ATM machine and u get robbed by service fees

1 - 16 of 16 Posts