GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. I know there has to be someone that follows this board that would be willing to steer me in the right direction. We are interested in purchashing a large screen TV (at least 51" projection) Must be HD ready. Plasma/LCD is not in the running, too expensive at this time. What set would you recommend worth looking at? In advance, "we appreciate all responses", Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
TV

I bought myself a new TV for Christmas and I am well satisfied. RCA Scenium. 51" wide screen, HD ready and built-in DVD/CD player. Add surround sound and it knocks your ears off.
One reason that sold me on RCA is that I already had a RCA 27" home Theater that had been a good TV. Also my VCR, Stereo and Sattelite Receiver are all RCA. So one remote handles all functions.

Jerry

·
Registered
276 Posts
Been looking myself. Talked to several TV repair folks and my son works for the local cable company. They all recommeded Sony. Supposedly there are only about 3 companies that actually make the sets for everyone else.

Good luck...

Michael

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Funny you should ask.
I just purchased a 51" Hitachi rear projection HDTV ready TV (model 51G500) http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/project ... G500.shtml . I purchased it from a regional large dealer, American TV out of Madison, WI, although I purchased mine at their Rockford, IL outlet.

I was led to Hitachi by a TV repairman, Allan Wainwright from Florida, who had been attempting to assist me repair a Magnavox TV via the internet. When I asked him about a Panasonic I saw advertised at REX, he told me he didn't like Panasonic's, but was warm to Toshiba's and really liked Hitachi's. From that I went to Consumer Reports ( CR ) ( http://www.consumerreports.org/main/con ... 5923972184 ) and read good reports about Hitachi and Toshiba http://www.consumerreports.org/main/con ... 5923976375 . I went out to REX, Best Buy and the aforementioned American TV and watched, asked a lot of questions and made my choice. Choice was made on picture quality I observed, size of screen, technical information I learned about, ratings from CR and the deal I made. I paid $1920 including tax. I also talked them into throwing in a 3 year in home repair warranty valued at $120. I played the 3 stores against each other and came up with what I feel was good deal.

I am very happy with my choice and am very close to signing up with an offer from Dish Network for a HDTV receiver and their HDTV package. ($199 for the receiver (I'm a current customer of Dish) and $10 a month additional for the HDTV package ( www.dishnetwork.com )).

Picture is near HDTV while viewing Dish Network and all of the area free TV stations broadcast HDTV, so I will enjoying digital quality pictures in any mode soon.

My advise is do the research and choose what you think is the best TV.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We bought a 51" Sony HDTV and surrond sound for our Christmas this year. Ed did tons of research on the TVs before we purchased. I'm sure he could answer any questions you might have. Just e-mail me and I'll get him to reply. Good luck, I'm sure you'll LOVE whatever you decide on.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Shouldn't this topic be part of the "off-topic" board? :duck:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
off topic board

The "off topic board" is used to vent your STRONG opinions on a subject. Not to ask a "general question". :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
with the prices comming down a bunch, we recently got a new living room tv

a 55 inch phillips, after rebates and discounts, it was in the $ 1500 range. for the money a very nice tv.

make sure you buy an in home warranty with any big tv, for about $ 300 for 4 years they will fix anything and in your house. 1 service call can do that much damage to the wallet.

loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: off topic board

EarlyBird said:
The "off topic board" is used to vent your STRONG opinions on a subject. Not to ask a "general question". :lol: :lol: :lol:
General MC Message Board
Talk about Bikes, Rides or anything motorcycle related.
(Need to add: "...and information about eBay scams and TV sets.")

·
Registered
203 Posts
If anyone is interested in opinions on TV's may I suggest this sight for comments http://www.avsforum.com/ I'm sure you could find out about some Big Screen that you could mound your your HONDA GOLDWING (motorcycle related).

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Just a question. Are you guys going to ride your Wings or watch TV :? :) :?:

JUST THINK OF ALL THE GOODIES YOU CAN BUY FOR YOUR WING :!: :!: :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I bought my HD Widescreen tv two years ago Hitachi was the one everyone was recommending so I bought a Mitsubishi :lol: I checked the specs and they seemed to be about the same, but, the Mitsubishi had a deep 'shelf' on the top which I knew I would need. I bought the matching base knowing that wouldn't hold all my extra goodies like the HD cable converter box, Replay TV (same as TIVO with no monthly charge), DVD player, Bose Theatre Surround Sound, etc. I really didn't want to be crawling around on my hands and knees to access the CD cassette in the Bose :roll: I'm very happy with it and haven't had any problems at all. I have the sound for everything going through the Bose, control everything with one remote and have plenty of extra input/output jacks for additional 'stuff'. I bought a 3 yr extended warranty for $350 because I know the repairs are very expensive, but have never had to use it. If I don't use it, I will get $175 back in store credit at the end of the three years which I can use to buy that additional 'stuff'!

.. Sue

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HDTV

Thanks to all, I knew there would be help on this board. Thats what makes this a great site. :) :) :

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have a 73" HD Mitsibushi Diamond series. It blows us and every one who sees it away. Most brands are good now. The best series in any brand is worth the bucks if you're inclined to spend them

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
tv screen on a goldwing, just what we all need to further distract the driver.

i guess the average 6 gizmos to look at are not enough.

loren

1 - 20 of 21 Posts