GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thoroughly enoyed the repartee included in these pages since joining the wing clan and this board - informative and entertaining. Now I've only logged about 4K miles since the March purchase (work keeps getting in the way) but I need some advice on a windshield. I just returned from a 500 mile jaunt to MS which highlighted the problem. I've tried every position available on the windscreen and buffeting is still an issue. I'm 6'2" - with a 29" inseam, God didn't give me any legs, so most of me is from the seat up. I prefer the windshield to be as low as possible and I now want to swap it out. I just received the MBL riser (really nice folks) that I've yet to install but what about a new bug screen?

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
I had the same problem when I started with the 1800. I only have one eye so when my head is getting slapped around at 80mph I can't focus on snit! :(

I found the fairing air deflectors from Big Bike did the trick. I tried Bakers first, but they did me no good. The Hondaline fairing deflector set worked well also, but they were even uglier than the other choices. LOL....

I'm 6' nothing. I keep my shield on the first notch. I also have a Hartco seat which is built higher than stock.

Good Luck.........

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Wow! I thought my legs were short at 5'-8" with a 29" inseam! :wink:

If you wanted to look through the windshield the Tulsa is good, but since you want to look over it, get a Cee Bailey with the NACA style vent. http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/gl1800ws.html
I have the standard height, and run with it at the lowest position. You'll probably want a +2". (They have 4-6" of adjustment.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm 6'2" also, I have put a Laminar Lip on my 06. Depending on where I have it set, will determine how I feel it's efectiveness is. The problem I have with the lip, is the distortion of my veiw on the road, especially in the twisties. Overall I like the lip, but I have yet to find a perfect position for the majority of riding conditions. I think I will keep trying instead of spending the money for a new windsheild.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Blues Guy,

You'll undoubtedly get many responses on this, here's mine:

I have the Windbender with the electric option (moves windscreen up and down at the flick of a switch), and am totally satisfied with it's operation. When I first got the bike I had the same head shaking problem, but with the Windbender it virtually eliminated all wind buffeting, I added the Baker wings, and I haven't had any problems in that department.

Some folks like the Tulsa, some the Cee Bailey's, some ??, my vote goes for the Windbender. JMHO

Mike

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
#2 vote for the Windbender. I love mine, my wife loves it more on the freeways. The cool thing about the electric option is you can run it all the way down for a clear view of the road close up for the twisties, then run it all the way up for the quick blast back home on the super slab. Or anywhere in between, depending on the circumstances. :lol:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I figured I'd pipe in with a recommendation from way out in left field:

I used to have a problem with the buffeting on the Wing. The Tulsa windshield was not an option, my wife seriously doesn't like the look (she bought me the bike for my birthday, I give her input priority). I can't stand the looks of wings and air deflectors so that was not an option. There has been no consensus on any other after market windshield so that seemed like a crap shoot. Then someone on one of these boards mentioned that a proper helmet could make all the difference in the world.

I was using an HJC full-face helmet that was given to me by the dealer with the bike. I never liked the way it fit but what the heck, it was free. So I went out and tried on several full-face helmets, ultimately liking the feel of the Icon Mainframe. The trick to getting the right fitting helmet is that it needs to fit tight enough so that when you wiggle it around with your hands it moves your scalp with it, but yet you feel no hot spots.

After buying the Icon Mainframe full face helmet I was astonished at how much of the buffeting was gone. It turned out the buffeting wasn't that bad, its just that the helmet made it a ton worse. Since then I have moved to the Scorpion EXO-700 with even better results.

So, try a full face helmet that fits perfectly and see if that makes a difference. (A side benefit of the full face helmet is that I haven't had to invest a dime in wind-noise reduction for the intercom)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts