GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Signal Dynamics Corporation Plug and Play Headlight Modulator
J&P Cycles Part Number: 445-956 Manufacturer Part Number: 01015 on our 08 Goldwing for 8 years and working perfectly.
Just notice I now have only high beams and they modulate together and no longer alternating. I also now have no dims at all.
Any time I have had any issues it has always been with items I have added to the bike not in the bike equipment. Wondering if there is a way to test the unit or just figure it is probably time just to replace the unit?

·
Registered
774 Posts
The Signal Dynamics unit does not alternate. The bulbs should go bright to dim and back again in unison.

Very likely both low beams have burned out. Do a search and you will find that occurs frequently. One burns out and before you notice it, the other goes making you think something more serious. You can pull the SD unit completely out if you want but I would pop a new bulb in first. If that works, change the other one. Throw some black tape over the light sensor while troubleshooting and that should put the modulator in full bypass mode.

·
Registered
774 Posts
How'd you make out?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Very likely both low beams have burned out.
I also have a Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator (Love it!). I agree, the most likely failure(s) are the Low Beam H7 Headlight Bulbs.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I used a modulator to do the lower fog lights on my wing with great success. Did not like the impression that I was an emergency vehicle make cage drivers act unpredictably. Doing the lower fogs worked and eliminated the unpredictable behaviour of others.

>CLICK ME<

fogs<

Reactions: Corkster52

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the responses and sorry for the delay in updating. I really do appreciate the help. I stand corrected in saying the lights oscillated they blink at the same time. Since they were not working I guess my memory was off line also. HA
Since the first post things have changed I made a video but I do not know how to post it on here. I sent it to Signal Dynamics and they said they had never experienced this before.
The lights are still not at full power but all the bulbs are working. Still nothing happens on dim but on bright the dims blink twice then the bright's blink twice and so it goes. I'm about ready to order a new unit but just not sure.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thank you all for the responses and sorry for the delay in updating. I really do appreciate the help. I stand corrected in saying the lights oscillated they blink at the same time. Since they were not working I guess my memory was off line also. HA
Since the first post things have changed I made a video but I do not know how to post it on here. I sent it to Signal Dynamics and they said they had never experienced this before.
The lights are still not at full power but all the bulbs are working. Still nothing happens on dim but on bright the dims blink twice then the bright's blink twice and so it goes. I'm about ready to order a new unit but just not sure.
Be interested in knowing what Signal Dynamics has to say. Possible unit has died after ten years but only they really know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally gave up and ordered a new Back Off modulator. Just received it plugged it in and it working perfectly.
Thank you all that responded..

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
ok so the headlight modulator has a failsafe built in that will shut down one circuit while leaving the remaining circuit live.

In english.... your system has an internal failure and the low beam circuit has been shut down. High beam remains.
(If I am understanding your posts correctly.)

I had my low beams cut out on me also. Sure enough the modulator had a failure. New modulator fixed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts