GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have questions about head sets, never used one. What is the best one to buy? Will the radio play through the head set? Should I consider the bike to bike type of system?
MM

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you install a bike-to-bike system, you'll only be able to hear another biker equipped with the same system. Install a 5-pin helmet headset, plug it into one of the two little cord thingys that Honda equipped your bike with, and you'll be able to hear your intercom, stereo, weather radio, and optional CB radio. For information on using all of these items with a headset, refer to your GL1800 owners manual.

Best one to buy? That depends on your budget and whether or not music sound quality is important to you. J&M is the leader in the motorcycle audio business (http://www.jmcorp.com/), and they have some new lower priced headsets now. However, Air rider, Chatterbox, and Autocom are options. You'll likely hear from owners of all brands, but bear in mind that the installation and the acoustics of different helmets greatly affects the sound quality.

Stu

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
J&M has a economy headset with two piece lower cord for $79.##. If I was just getting into headsets I think I would go with them. You won't find better support anywhere than with J&M. They all sound funky when listening to the stereo through the headsets! :(

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=12

·
Registered
533 Posts
MM,
Stu gave you all the info that you need in his post.

A little history may help you understand other responses you may get:

J&M was the quality leader in the '90s, with prices no lower than $200 per copy.

In the late 90's, J&M's quality dropped significantly, especially with their cords. Their reputation for great customer service was developed because they had so many failures.

About the same time ('99-'00) HJC (Chatterbox) came out with a headset AND cord for the same price as the J&M cord. The sound quality was seen as about the same, with the usual views based on what folks owned.

My advice:
As you add helmets to your riding closet, you will find that you are buying several pairs of headsets. I've got six of them, half older J&Ms and half Chaterbox. Personally, I like the value and quality of the $80 complete Chaterbox just fine.

Stay with headsets, not communicators or bike to bike products, unless you want to pony up for the CB.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Red said:
J&M has a economy headset with two piece lower cord for $79.##.
I am still waiting on my chatterbox's to arrive so I can't yet offer an opinion on how well they do or do not work. However, I would point out that chatterbox say they have Dynamic Noise Reduction (DNR) mics which should make a good deal of difference.

I suspect the J&M's mentioned in the quote are probably just basic open mics. You may want to verify that with J&M as the chatterbox are about the same price and I know from flying in son's plane, DNR makes a huge difference.

FTW

·
Registered
74 Posts
Strangely enough, my top of the line J&M headset just failed. The failure is in the little bitty 5-pin plug that's molded into the mic clamp itself.

Unfortunately, I can't send it back to J&M because I cut off their speakers and soldered in some better ones from a Radio Shack headphone unit.

Sooooo, I popped on over to my Honda dealer and picked up a "Honda" set (made for Honda by J&M) that comes WITH the correct cord and high end headphone speakers. It was under 200.00 complete-lile around 175.00 I think.

I intended to cut out the speakers and install my Shack speakers but when I tried the J&M/Honda unit, I was very pleasantly surprised by the audio quality. I may just leave it as is.

I run a 3/4 helmet and I like the sturdiness of the J&M units compared to some of the others I've seen. The cords DO fail frequently, though, I've found.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Just because the Honda headsets are made by J&M, that doesn't mean they're the same product. I know for a fact that they're not; J&M builds to Honda's specifications. The current top line J&M branded stuff has much better quality speakers and a hugely better microphone than the Hondaline stuff...all for about the same price. Plus, you can use the newer J&M sets on any bike's system, regardless of the number of pins in the OEM connector. Speaking of connectors, I've heard several folks claim the cords and connectors break frequently. Then I see the way some riders treat the equipment, and I have the answer to "the failure problem."
Jerk the USB cables out of your computer by the cords, or twist 'em as you pull 'em out and see how long THEY last.

·
Registered
337 Posts
headsets

I wear a half-helmet (at least until I cross state lines :D ) I did some research and found these headsets http://www.bestbikegear.com/ they are quite pricey but the sound clarity is awesome. One word of warning the price is each and not for a pair!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used Chatterbox for the past year and the microphone began to get loose and one of the speakers stopped working. I never was satisfied with the sound as I heard rumble in my speakers with bass sound. I decided to try something different and called Sierra Electronics. I have an HJC flip up helmet and they recommended an Air Rider headset. It was more expensive than the Chaterbox but I feel it has a better quality sound and construction. JMHO.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the “top of the line” J&M headsets and am quite pleased. They are installed in my Nolan N100E helmet. Granted, they don’t sound like the headphones I wear in my living room or like the headphones I may wear with my portable CD player. This is because they are neither!

Headsets installed in a motorcycle helmet don’t touch your ears – this makes a huge difference alone. If they are adjusted to touch your ears inside of the helmet – your ears will hurt in short order. Combine the fact that they’re mounted inside of a helmet and there are all sorts of other noises like wind, other vehicles, etc… and bingo, you will not have great stereo quality sound.

There are earplug style speakers that look interesting if you feel like dealing with plugging them in your ears and out each time you helmet goes on or off. For me the J&M product that I bought works fine.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Go cheap !

This is my own opinion. I wouldn't go buy a high dollar headset because in my opinion your wasting your money. All you need a headset for is to talk back and forth with your passenger and to comunicate on the CB if you have one. You can sink some serious money into these things. I choose to listen to the radio with 4 of the wings speakers and with some luck I'm going to have an amp. The sound quality is just not there with the headsets. To each there own this is just my 2 cents. :?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have had Air Rider for 5 years in the same helmet.
Love it!!! Even using the small foam for the mike there is zero wind noise!
Someone said there is no battery in the new model. Not sure. :?:
Expensive Yes. Great sound.
It is time for a new helmet.
I'll stay with Air Rider but would like a lighter helmet than my Nolan Clasic.
Have heard about new light weight helmets but not sure of the brand. :?:
TR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts