GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are on a trip to a wedding in Durham, NC from Indiana. Drove the Civic instead of the GL1800 ... first time I've taken a long trip in the cage ... sort of different. :lol: Smaller engine ... both five speed, but the Civic is automatic ... couldn't hear each other talk in the Civic with the sun roof open and the windows down ... we need microphones and earphones ... :lol: ... gas mileage is worse, maybe 35 instead of 45 ... brought lots more clothes, trunk is larger than saddlebags. The Civic goes over 400 miles on a fill-up ... ;)

I should explain that we were going to attend my nieces' wedding on the 'Wing but decided to drive the Civic because my colitis is acting up and while Dixie can drive the Civic, she doesn't drive the bike (inn case I wasn't feeling well) ... also the weather on the trip down was pretty wet (though that doesn't bother us much) ... and getting dress clothes for the wedding down to Durham would have been a challenge (we don't do trailers either).

We stopped by Maybry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way down Friday and the cashier told us that Sunday is the last day of the season. We are going to try to catch them open Sunday afternoon on our way back north. She also said that contracts for next year's operation were not signed yet and she wasn't so sure they'd be open. :eek:4:

Just feel really out of it being down here in the mountains and hills in the Civic ... it might be a 1800 CC Honda, but it just doesn't lean into the curves ... :cry:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,964 Posts
I know your pain!! We also have a Civic. It can be a little fun to drive and the fuel mileage is good (We get closer to 40 with ours), but it ain't no GL1800! When we take the Civic, I always wish I was riding instead of driving! :bow:

Sometimes you just got to do, what you got to do!! :shrug:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just checked into a Hampton Inn in Roanoke VA. Rode up from Athens GA after a week down there on business. I rode through Knoxville on the way down to try the Dragon on rt129 last Sunday. Came up RT209 and Rt212 today. I think the locals call rt209 the Rattler. Pretty drive if you you have the time. Saw many wings riding around .Today was a mix of beautiful sunny skies and then pop-up downpours and/or pea-sized hailstorms. Mix that with wet leaves and gravel on the curves, yeah, the rattler is a good name for that road! The folks down here have an amazing playground for 2 wheelers. 3 and 4-wheelers would be fun down here too. I'm in for a windy ride home to NJ tomorrow; I'm sure you will have fun where ever you choose your ride.

Pete V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts