GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stars, moon, and gods of all things good lined up this weekend. I'm at a point on the kitchen redo where I can walk away for a couple of days, the CinC is working this weekend, I do not have to return to work until Wednesday, and this is the first weekend of Sturgis. A couple of my Texas friends are headed north out of the Texas heat, they may go to Sturgis or they may go to Yellowstone. I'm game for either, Sturgis is a little farther but still a good day ride. Get there Saturday, have a hamburger and beer, buy the t-shirt, say hi to the Presidents and ride home Monday. If Yellowstone, have a nice ride up Highway 191, stopping for a hamburger in Alpine, AZ, spend Saturday night in Jackson and then Jackson to Tucson is a perfect SS1000 Monday. Damn life is good.

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
Always nice just being able to ride on the wing enjoy n be safe

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I forgot to add if it is Yellowstone, Jackson has a great hamburger joint as well. This may end up being a Hamburger RTE, love RTEs.

I will be on the road in a couple.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Recommend Yellowstone....Sturgis is, well, a Zoo. Been there, done that, have absolutly NO desire to do it again. (Imagine rush hour in NYC, only all bikes instead of cars.:tongue:) I love the Black Hills, but I'll never venture into that area again during "sturgis".....YRMV Ride safe & have a great trip!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recommend Yellowstone....Sturgis is, well, a Zoo. Been there, done that, have absolutly NO desire to do it again. (Imagine rush hour in NYC, only all bikes instead of cars.:tongue:) I love the Black Hills, but I'll never venture into that area again during "sturgis".....YRMV Ride safe & have a great trip!
Been to both, Yellowstone in the Summer and Sturgis during Trailer Week, not sure which is the biggest zoo. Doesn't make a lot of difference to me it's all riding :).

Just before I left my Texas friends called, said they were headed west to plan on Jellystone. Suits me, once north of Phoenix the ride to Jackson is really nice.

A couple of observations: It was slow going yesterday, got a late start from Tucson, from 100 miles south of Page, AZ to 100 miles north is really slow because the road is plugged by RVs, boot trailers, and Lollygaggers, there were four different road closures requiring pace cars, and more big gaggles of HDs on a Sunday ride, you would have thought you were close to Sturgis. Anyway, I will normally maintain a 65 to 70 mph block, yesterday my block was 55 mph, glad I wasn't on the clock.

Just South of SLC I had a message my friends had shut it down in Coaldale, CO and if I hadn't passed I-70 stay on I-70 and we would meet up somewhere on it today. I did, shut it down in Salinas, UT. They have a ways to ride today, google says about 700 miles and 12 hours to Jackson from their location, I expect we will meet in Green River, UT and then head north toward Jackson, doubt if they will want to ride all the way. I may not make Jellystone as I need to be back in Tucson Monday. Whatever, it has been a great ride and it got me away from the kitchen redo for a couple of days.

BTW, the ride up the back side of the Wasatch is beautiful, it had been awhile for me and I forget just how nice it is. The temps ran from the low 90s to the low 100s, just couldn't have been better.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Cool trip report! Thanks for the update, can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We met up at the junction of I-70 and CO 139, from there north on CO 139 to Vernal then Highway 191 north to Pinedale, WY. In the AM we will ride to Jackson, I'll grab a burger and split for Tucson. My Texas friends will go on up through Yellowstone and Bear Tooth pass then maybe over to Sturges.

The ride to meet up was beautiful, I-70 between Salina, UT and Green River, UT is spectacular, going from beautiful high alpine to red rock and the road is a constant series of high speed sweepers. What a great ride.

CO 139 is a nice little road, not good enough to make a special trip for but a nice way to get from I-70 to Vernal, UT and then up to I-80. The ride from Vernal, UT through Flaming Gorge to Green River, WY is almost good enough to be a destination route.

BTW, it's great riding with good friends but ain't no way you are going to make big miles, just isn't in normal folks DNA, 600 miles a day is about it. Not a biggie that is just the way it is.

Home either Sunday evening or early Monday, glue up of 14 kitchen drawers are there waiting for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts