GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a 4 day trip from upstate SC to Gettysburg over the Labor Day weekend. Plan to get there sometime before lunch Saturday and spend the night. After a quick tour of the battlefields and the cemetery, I would like to see some of the local countryside. Are there any must sees in the area? Anyone know of a good church to visit Sunday morning?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am taking a 4 day trip from upstate SC to Gettysburg over the Labor Day weekend. Plan to get there sometime before lunch Saturday and spend the night. After a quick tour of the battlefields and the cemetery, I would like to see some of the local countryside. Are there any must sees in the area? Anyone know of a good church to visit Sunday morning?

Thanks!!
I think you are underestimating the time you will spend touring the battlefield. You will also want to visit several of the different museums and informational stops in town.
That said if you do want a nice ride, https://goo.gl/maps/qGzREV259KtPC9ZV9

When you come back down PA 34 you will pass some orchards with stands to pick up whatever fruit is ready at the moment.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts

Thanks!!
We expect a full report after you have returned. I’m sure it’s on a lot of other’s bucket lists like it is on mine. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
We toured the battlefields several times by car and motorcycle before we took one of the bus tours. I would advise the bus tour as a nice break, good tour guides, and able to really enjoy the scenery and what was happening those 3 days in July without worrying about drivers. Don't forget to tour the museum and take in the movie.

One of the films I would suggest would be Gettysburg with Jeff Daniels before you head out...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. schlep1967 I have been there twice before just not on the wing. Had the family years ago on one trip and went by on a work trip a few years back but didn't get a chance to see the surrounding area. Wanted to spend the night there so I could ride some of the battle fields alone later in the evening. Looks like the ride you suggested will be a good one. May stretch my trip to five days instead of four.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for the replies. schlep1967 I have been there twice before just not on the wing. Had the family years ago on one trip and went by on a work trip a few years back but didn't get a chance to see the surrounding area. Wanted to spend the night there so I could ride some of the battle fields alone later in the evening. Looks like the ride you suggested will be a good one. May stretch my trip to five days instead of four.
Another interesting stop is in Carlisle. The route Above goes through there. The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center has a large outdoor display with different military equipment plus an indoor museum. https://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depending on how long ago you were here, you should definitely check out the new visitor center. Huge improvement over the old. Many more artifacts and displays. Cyclorama painting was moved there also. As far as areas around town, 34 north will take you towards Carlisle through orchard country. Nice roads with lots of hills and turns. 30 west will take you towards Chambersburg and through Caledonia State Forest and park. 30 east to Lancaster takes you into Amish country. Short ride south on 15 towards Thurmont, MD is Cunningham Falls State Park.

Touring the battlefield itself can be quite time consuming depending on your interest. Most people only see the area around the High Water Mark and Pickett's Charge as this is the most well known. If you have a real interest, then look for the side roads in park as well.

As far as churches go, there many, many churches in the area. You should not have any trouble finding one for your faith.

While in town, if you happen to like a really good burger, you need to try the Blue & Gray Bar & Grill on center square. They offer about 15 different styles of burgers all named for a Union or Confederate general served with an appropriate flag. They also have great wings and other good food as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts