GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
It has finally came and it is time for my wife and I to head to Cashier, NC so that we can spend a week exploring the Blue Ridge and other fine roads in the area. Any suggestions of places to take her to see or eat for that matter??

Loaded the bike last night...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Set it free. :doorag:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I won't make any comments about your Goldwing on the trailer (other than to say it's the second Wing I've ever seen on a trailer).

Back to point at hand, I would recommend the Cherohala Skyway and Smokey Mountain National Park. These are all near the southern end of the BRP in NC.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Sorry people, the little lady loves the wing but she says she is not riding 600 miles there.
I would have got her an airline ticket and left. Seriously.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
A ride to the Dillard House for their Buffet in Dillard Ga is always fun. Then head to Franklin NC via 441 and catch Highway 64 back to Highlands.

We like to eat at the Orchard in Cashiers on 107 South, enjoy Greenriver BBQ and Wards Grill in Saluda NC, and the Lakeside in Highlands. Waynesville NC has a nice bakery/deli for lunch called Whitman's(closed Mon and Tuesday I believe)

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Just a few miles from the parkway in Maggie Valley is the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum - a MUST SEE! Please visit their web site for hours of operation.

Many good places in Little Switzerland to eat. The area around Grandfather Mountain is great - many tourist shops. Banner Elk has many good restaurants. We stayed at a little group of cottages called Huskins Court and Cottages (Pineolla) - very nice but Mr. Huskins was very ill last year when we stayed there again, and I don't know if it is still in operation. If she is a "city girl", she probably wouldn't like it. My wife loved it.

There is a little restaurant just off the parkway near West Jefferson NC that has great home-cooking. It is in front of the Park Vista motel. Many rave about Pisgah Inn, but we were very disappointed by the high price and poor service (seemed to be staffed by the children of privilege from Asheville) in the restaurant and noise in the motel.

Stop often and let here see all of the overlooks she wants, that should make her happy. Remind her that she can always have gifts shipped home (most of the shops will do it for the cost). Coming down off of the parkway will be like going into an oven. Take rain gear - you will need it (if for no other reason than for warmth)!

·
Registered
425 Posts
About the bike on a trailer, remember personal choice?????????? When time is short, I tow mine too since it does take a lot longer to get there riding on the bike. I'm sure the OP appreciates his wife's comfort over our flames.

Now, back to the OP questions. While there you should try called Hell Bender, Take US 19 south out of Cherokee to NC 28 running to Deals Gap. Lots of curves, beautiful scenery. I agree on Cherohala Skyway over to Tellico Plains since you will be there anyway after going down 28. You can try the bakery there.

Also, just north of Cherokee on the BPR is a road to that turns to the North towards Black Camp. It's just a short ride but what a blast to ride. You ride up then back down unless you want to try 20 miles of gravel road back to Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Being in Cashiers, your already in a very beautiful part of NC already...

First off how far is she willing to ride at a time???

Miles and or time???

How many days will you be there???

Her comfort is most important in the first place... :thumbup: :thumbup:

PS. mt bike has been on a trailer also... Yeah she turned a little Red but she forgave me... :joke: :oops: :joke: :oops:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Being in Cashiers, your already in a very beautiful part of NC already...

First off how far is she willing to ride at a time???

She has ridden close to 400 miles at a time, but just does not want to ride from st. Louis to cashier and then be all biked out.

Miles and or time???

She will ride all day as long as I provide a fair amount of butt breaks :)

How many days will you be there???

Arrive Sunday night, ride locally Mon/ Tue, Wednesday will be the Big day on the Blue Ridge since we have to move rooms where we are staying and will not be back until Thursday. Then we will be in the area again Thud, Fri, Sat and then headed home in Sunday.

Her comfort is most important in the first place... :thumbup: :thumbup:

PS. mt bike has been on a trailer also... Yeah she turned a little Red but she forgave me... :joke: :oops: :joke: :oops:
Been trailing to the mountains since I waded a Blackbird on Deals Gap and had to rent a truck to get it home ( wifes rules ) . I don't mind that way if it rains she is.happy and dry.:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just returned from a BRP trip from New Jersey. I went without a single map, no GPS - just headed south. I met people along the trip that told me and even led me to all the sites. In Knoxville Harley I did purchase a map (Scenic road trips of the Smokey Mountains) that has 36 day trips on it for that area. The ranger station/ rest area on the parkway also has a free booklet called; the Blue Ridge Parkway Directory Planner - it list every exit and what there is to see on the parkway itself (gas stations also)Go with no plans or schedule - just ride. The people and the roads in that area are some of the best in the country. Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Cherohala is a Must Ride.... There are lots of good roads up there. Just follow the front wheel!

MK160

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
You are going to a great area to base day trips from.
Both ways from Cashiers on 64 are fantastic.
Helen Georgia would be a spot to have lunch during a day trip in that direction.
Be sure to take the trip thru Great Smokey Mtns towards Gatlinburg. Perhaps a loop including Deals Gap , Cherohala hwy Foothills pkwy and then back thru the park.

Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg can be extremely busy with traffic. Avoid unless you want to go there for a show.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Have a great time.
We were out there 2 weeks ago and stayed in Maggie Valley.
More to see in that area then there is time for.
We're going back next year.

Must still "Wheels through Time".
Also go to Ashville and check out the "Biltmore Estate"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts