GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bride and I will be taking an extended weekend (Fri-Mon) the last weekend of this month to come out and see that beautiful part of the country.

We were there years (and years) ago with the kids but wasn't looking at it from a motorcyclist point of view.
I've heard that Needles highway is a good one to ride, which one is that?
Any others?
We'd like to see the night shows at Rushmore and Crazy Horse. What would be a good, central place to stay so that we are not driving a long way after dark?
Any suggestions on what to see and where to ride would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

·
Registered
902 Posts
Don't know about Needles but..

Hill City just outside Rapid City is a cool little town with a few motels in it. Rushmore and Crazy Horse are short rides from Hill City, taking the main (and only) road out of town.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hill City is fine, Keystone is fine, I live in Rapid City and it has lots of places also. Be sure to ride through the needles (on any map) if you don't mind very curvey roads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Iron Mt road, just outside Keystone, on the way to Mt. Rushmore is another very fun, twisty road. Try it out as well. This year, so far, it's VERY nice up here, as we've had a LOT of rain, and everything is GREEN!!!
This may not be God's Country, but you can see it from here!!

Bubba

·
Registered
670 Posts
Custer State Park is nice, including the wildlife loop. Spearfish Canyon is also a nice ride, more towards the Northern Black Hills

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Rushmore is skeduled to be closed the weekend of the 12th. NorthWest Mining Company is using the roads to transport the worlds largest single chunk of coal. Seems Obama wants to add another president to the monument.:joke::joke::joke:

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rushmore is skeduled to be closed the weekend of the 12th. NorthWest Mining Company is using the roads to transport the worlds largest single chunk of coal. Seems Obama wants to add another president to the monument.:joke::joke::joke:

Now that there was just too funny !!!

BTW, you now owe me a keyboard, have you ever snorted soda out your nose !!!!??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts