GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine are on a mission to go to the Skywalk in Arizona. Leaving from Norfolk Virginia on the 17th. Hope to be out there by the 21 st. We are also scheduled to ride the Train out of Williams Az on the 23rd. Should be a great trip. I'm on a 2010 GL 1800 Mike is riding a 2008. I've never ridden west of the Mississippi.

·
Registered
224 Posts
AZ

Good luck!! I'm originally from AZ and wil be visiting in late October and can't wait to get back. It's been many years since I've been there.

Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's 108 degrees in Phoenix today. Bring sun screen and carry lots of water to drink enroute.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
A good portion of the road to the skywalk is unpaved (dirt) and frankly the ride up that way is just plain old boring. Try the north rim instead and have a cocktail on the deck at sunset. If you arrive at the lodge early, you can check for cancellations and get a cabin for the night. Also, try the train ride from Clarksdale to Perkinsville....a lot more scenic than the Williams train ride.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
A good portion of the road to the skywalk is unpaved (dirt) and frankly the ride up that way is just plain old boring. Try the north rim instead and have a cocktail on the deck at sunset. If you arrive at the lodge early, you can check for cancellations and get a cabin for the night. Also, try the train ride from Clarksdale to Perkinsville....a lot more scenic than the Williams train ride.
This is good advice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A friend of mine are on a mission to go to the Skywalk in Arizona. Leaving from Norfolk Virginia on the 17th. Hope to be out there by the 21 st. We are also scheduled to ride the Train out of Williams Az on the 23rd. Should be a great trip. I'm on a 2010 GL 1800 Mike is riding a 2008. I've never ridden west of the Mississippi.
Don't worry about heat while in that area. I camped out two nights just outside of Williams last week. Down to 57 degrees at night and only got up to 84 degrees during the day. Be sure and bring your senior parks pass. 25.00 to get in the park if you don't have it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is good advice.

Way good advice... The thing is kind of a tourist trap. Go to the north rim and enjoy yourselves. Maybe head up into southern Utah from there. It's a long drive on a partial dirt road, and each step costs you another 20 bucks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You will like Williams Az,one of our favorite towns on Route 66. Go to the Pine Country Restaurant in Williams and DROOL over their homemade pies. :thumbup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
We got home Monday road North Carolina to the Grand Canyon and back. I looked at the train because of the traffic in the park I was told then we changed our mine and stayed in Flagstaff and road to the park and it was great no traffic at all and we did put on shorts and no helmets in the park and road from overlook to overlook and it was great. Take your wing to the park you will love it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Way good advice... The thing is kind of a tourist trap. Go to the north rim and enjoy yourselves. Maybe head up into southern Utah from there. It's a long drive on a partial dirt road, and each step costs you another 20 bucks.

Isn't the road now paved? It was supposed to be finished in 2010.

For 14 miles Diamond Bar Road twists its way through rock-strewn dry washes and canyons, shaking apart anything that isn't strapped down in your car and kicking grit into your teeth, even with all of the windows closed. That will change, however, beginning in 2008. That's when the Hualapai tribe, which owns the Skywalk, starts paving and rerouting the road. The work is expected to take up to two years, owing to the challenge of taming such bad-ass terrain.

They settled a lawsuit with an obstructionist landowner, and now plan to spend $20 million widening, paving, rerouting, and building bridges on Diamond Bar Road. By 2010 its abusive days will be history -- if the monsoons don't flood things out again.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Isn't the road now paved? It was supposed to be finished in 2010.

For 14 miles Diamond Bar Road twists its way through rock-strewn dry washes and canyons, shaking apart anything that isn't strapped down in your car and kicking grit into your teeth, even with all of the windows closed. That will change, however, beginning in 2008. That's when the Hualapai tribe, which owns the Skywalk, starts paving and rerouting the road. The work is expected to take up to two years, owing to the challenge of taming such bad-ass terrain.

They settled a lawsuit with an obstructionist landowner, and now plan to spend $20 million widening, paving, rerouting, and building bridges on Diamond Bar Road. By 2010 its abusive days will be history -- if the monsoons don't flood things out again.

I haven't seen anywhere that the road has been paved yet. I just did a bing search and only see that it was approved.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I haven't seen anywhere that the road has been paved yet. I just did a bing search and only see that it was approved.
Taken from Kingman news paper. Surely they've paved more since January 2010. Bids went out in May 2010 for the rest of the paving.

1/19/2010 10:41:00 AM
Section of road to Skywalk completed

GRAND CANYON WEST - The first phase of paving Diamond Bar Road, the road leading to Grand Canyon West and the Skywalk, is now completed. The Hualapai Tribe, with cooperation from Mohave County Public Works, has successfully paved 4.5 miles - nearly one-third of the previously unpaved 14-mile stretch of road.

Diamond Bar Road is owned by Mohave County and is the primary access road to Grand Canyon West. The first phase of the project cost $7.5 million, which was paid for by the Hualapai Tribe. The second phase of paving is expected to go out to bid in the spring and cost $40 million, which will also be financed by the Hualapai Tribe and possibly government grants.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
what a waste that place is, you can't even take your own pics while there. It's not even the best part of the canyon. See the north and the south rims and call it a day or two.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
ah yep... bring plenty of cash if you want to walk the sky walk. Many miles of the road is unpaved as mentioned.

I have not been there, some friends traveled there .

North rim of canyon is a great visit and a few stops along the way. Marble Canyon is a nice view

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Skywalk is on my Bucket List

And it's the only thing on the list since I just put one thing on at a time. I have to make my way to the Skywalk. I've seen lots of tours out of Vegas to the Skywalk but I'd like to stay in Kingman and find a way to get there. I don't want to ride the bike down unpaved section. I hear there are buses that will take you up the road. Looks like it will cost us $82.00 apiece to get to the skywalk. I really appreciate all the coments and I will hopefully concentrate on the North rim on my next visit ( Lord Willing )

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There are several air tour companies that go to the Skywalk out of Sedona. There are probably some out of Vegas too. Don't know of any in Kingman. PM me for some info on the Sedona tour operators if you like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts