GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for someone to inform me on roads not to be missed while touring Maine this june. Thank you, steve

·
Registered
523 Posts
We were out there 2 weeks ago. Gotta ride around southwest harbor. Beautiful houses and curvy roads.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Check out the NewEnglandRiders website: http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNorthEast/BestRoads/MEBestRoads.htm

One of my favorite rides is along the New Hampshire coast, up into Maine. It begins at the junction of Rte. 286 and Rte. 1A. Follow Rte. 1A north along the Atlantic Coast. When you get to the rotary (round-about), take the first turn off. In about a quarter mile take another right onto Rte. 1B. This will take you through the island of New Castle and into Portsmouth, NH. Cross over the Portsmouth harbor on the Rte. 1 bridge. Shortly after passing into Maine look for Rte. 103. This will take you into Kittery (home of the a Portsmouth Naval Shipyard). Follow the signs for Rte. 103, heading further north up the Maine coast. When you get to York, Rte. 103 will end at Rte. 1A. Take a right onto Rte. 1A. This will take you past Long Sands Beach. After you past the beach area, look for a right hand turn from Rte. 1A to head toward the Nubble Lighthouse. After you pass the lighthouse, you will soon come to Short Sands Beach and the York Beach attractions. Take a right at the center and in a mile or so you will come to a fork in the road. Bear to the right onto Shore Road. This will take you along the coast into Ogunquit. This route will bring you back to Rte. 1. Take Rte 1 north into Wells. From this point on trying to stay along the coast can be difficult for anyone totally unfamiliar with the area. One word of caution, the coastal areas can become congested with traffic during the summer months. A ride during the week in early June may not be too bad for traffic as many schools won't break for the summer until mid or late June.
There are so many good places to eat along the route I suggested. For instance, Brown's on Rte. 286 in Seabrook NH, a short distance from Rte. 1A. You can pick out the lobster you would like steamed. Ray's in Rye, NH is always busy serving a good variety of seafood. Downtown Portsmouth had many good restaurants. In Wells, Maine the Maine Diner has a wide variety of diner favorites. Several miles up Rte. 1 in Arundel Maine there's a favorite biker stop with daily food specials.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts