GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are leaving next week on the Wing for a couple of weeks in the Smokies. This will be our first trip to the area. Will be visiting family in Maryville, TN for a couple of days then will be based in Asheville for a few days followed by Boone for a few days taking day trips from those locations.

Since we have never been there before, I am looking for suggestions for good rides, in addition to the obvious - Deals Gap and BRP.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

-Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
The ride on Hiway 28 from Bryson City to Franklin is a great ride also. I took it several times when I was there in May.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hey we're doing the same....very smiliar thing next week also. Going to start on the Cherohala stop at the Topoco Lodge, then the dragon..... 28 back to 441 over the mountain to Gatlinburg(spent the night).....then northern route over to Asheville on back roads,(spend the night) then down the BRP west to 74 area Bryson City, thru the Nantahala Outdoor Center, and on home thursday....unless we get sidetracked!!. Maybe we'll see ya.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We are going too!!!! will be up there 10/6 - 10/10 Coming up from Florida. 3 Wings in our group.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My SO and I plan on to be in the Gatlinburg area on the 14th for a couple of days...

PS .. i should be pulling my new CBC Escapade trailer too ! so wave as
we wave at every biker....

cosmic

·
Registered
495 Posts
The SO and I will also be there next week also. We're planning on riding the Gap, BRP and through the park to Gatlinburg.

Maybe we'll see you there!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Mike,
Contact the people at www.madmaps.com and ask for the "Smoky Mountains/Southern Appalachia Scenic Tours" to get all the best roads recommended by local motorcycle riders of the area.

Each individual road loop is highlighted in different colors and individually numbered with a short description and the length of each loop.

I purchased this map, based on a recommendation by another list member here, before we went to the area last year. I like riding the tightest twisties as much as most of you do, and I wouldn't have been able to find these beautiful roads had I gone there sans this map. Definitely worth its weight in gold.

Good luck and have fun riding them.

Mike

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Rt 276 from Waynesville NC to Cleveland SC is one of the best roads around.

A great loop would be to start in Waynesville on rt 276, go across the BRP into Pisgah. Great BBQ place on the right just as you get into Pisgah called Hog Wild. Stay on rt 276 through the town of Brevard past Caesar's Head State park. There is a great lookout at the park which is worth the stop. Go down 276 from the park and hold on because there are some great hairpins, decreasing radius turns. Go to right at rt 8 to rt 11. At rt 11 turn right, and if you didn't eat at the BBQ place there is a place called Aunt Sara's several miles down on the right. Great food.

From rt 11 go to rt 178. A really nice twisty road, which is another of the sport bike riders favorites. rt 178 hits rt 64, from here you can turn right and head back to Brevard. Or you can turn left on rt 64 to rt 215 (only about 1/2 mile or so) and turn right on 215. This is another twisty delight and it intersects the BRP.

All these roads are in my backyard and I never get tired of them. Some parts of 276 are more technical then Deal's Gap.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I would definately ride 226 and 226A near Little Switzerland. Since you would already be in the area try riding Shady Valley on Hwy 421 and Hwy 91. 489 curves make it one of the best rides in the area with much less traffic than most.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
Mike,
Contact the people at www.madmaps.com and ask for the "Smoky Mountains/Southern Appalachia Scenic Tours" to get all the best roads recommended by local motorcycle riders of the area.
I second that. We got our Appalachia Madmaps at the 2004 Honda Hoot.
It consists of different loops (ares) to try.

Herb

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thank you Barbara. I know where we are headed in the morning!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for the ride tips and the map tip - will definitely get the map.

Sounds like there will be several riders from this board in the area the next couple of weeks. Hope to meet a few of you at stops, overlooks, etc.

I’m guessing that we will be a little early for peak fall color, but maybe there will be slightly less traffic on the BRP as a result. We won’t get back to Minnesota until the 3rd week of Oct. as it is, and up here snow in Oct. is not unheard of.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Almost forgot to show you guys this........thanks from someone on this board I believe for the link when I discovered it!

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ride the foothills parkway and Fontana dam when when you ride Deals Gap.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hi Mike,
I was out there this summer with a couple friends. We stayed in Robbinsville, NC for 2 days and rode Hwy. 28, 129 (the Dragon, of course), the Cherohala Skyway, the Wayah Rd. and several others. A trip to the Fontana Dam off of Hwy. 28 was interesting. We did the Honda Homcoming for the first day on the way out. Rode Hwy. 421 from Bristol, VA to Boone, NC. Awesome ride. We did 2 days up the BPR and Skyline drive. Should have used 3 days instead. Our route to the Homecoming was a roundabout route. We followed the Great River Road on the WI & IL side to Savanna, IL. Crossed over to MO just north of St. Louis. Didn't want to ride through St. Louis, so went west on I think it was Hwy. 47 to Troy, Mo. Then south on Co. Rd. J which intersected with Hwy. 47 again. We found a couple of Co. Rds. (OO and T) that eventially got us to Perryville, MO. Those 2 Co. Rds. were the greatest. T was like a rollercoaster on curves and NEW pavement. We connected with the Ohio River Road and followed that to Portsmouth, OH before turning north to the Homecoming. I've been meaning to post some pictures and find a free web host to post a couple videos I did from the dash but have been up to my ears with remodeling/decorating on the house since I got home. We removed all the carpeting and had the hardwood floors refinished. As long as the rooms were empty "we should paint, etc." 3 rooms to completely redo at one time is to much. Almost done. And I did take time do go riding inbetween painting. Send me a pm if your interested in a phone call. I can talk faster than I type. Have a great trip. Next time I go I'm going to stay out there longer.
Here's a couple links we used in planing
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/other_rides.html
http://www.motorcycleplayground.com/Roa ... alley.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts