GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help to locate a problem with my headlight adjuster.
Changed air filter, plugged everything back. Everything but the adjuster works. It was making "noise" for a while (maybe not related). Everything on a panel where the adjuster is on the bike works..... 2008 abs/nav

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Those plastic drive gears have a tendency to wear usually disabling only one of the head lamp adjustments.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually you can hear it working and see the headlight being adjusted...it's silent now......

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Headlight adjuster......RIP, one each new required.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You can reach the motors from lower front of tripple trees and unscrew (1/2 turn) counter clockwise and pull out, unplug power first. Then test them, odd 2 at once.
Motors are lower outer of lowbeams. There touching the table.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well, the question still remains, before ordering new motor, or motors, has power at the connector been checked with a meter?

It is always possible that power is not passing to or through the connector, all of these things should always be confirmed prior to simply replacing a part.

A meter is a great friend in the evaluation of many situations.

It can save your life at times also, as yesterday in a hi-rise and this ole water heater would not heat, oh such chagrin and wish for hot water, it was the upper element, but you see with all the breakers in the box turned off it still had full power. Gosh what can we do......wringing of hands and great consternation and disappointment. Lol!

Some time later it was discovered in the multi-condo setting that the power for this water heater had been ran from another unit space and the breaker was finally found. To stick ones fingers into the wires trusting the label on the power box in the problem unit would not have been wise...........

Perhaps it is possible that there is power to the motor but the connector is not making contact, maybe,might, and does need confirmation.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the engine has to be running for them to work.
laj48, you may be right.... But I believe it worked just with an ignition ON.
Someone could answer this... I can't, I'm at work and bike at the storage at this moment.....
Kit, yes I will check the relay and plug connections first. I would not run and buy anything unless I determine it's dead. Fixing things just by replacing may be eventually bad for someones bad account :)

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Coirrectamundo, my 2005, the engine must be running.

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
laj48, you may be right.... But I believe it worked just with an ignition ON.
Someone could answer this... I can't, I'm at work and bike at the storage at this moment.....
Kit, yes I will check the relay and plug connections first. I would not run and buy anything unless I determine it's dead. Fixing things just by replacing may be eventually bad for someones bad account :)
Engine "must" be running............... All years......

If it's a air bagger or '12 or later it might have to be in neutral also. Can't remember that fact for sure and I'm too lazy to go out and check! :shock:

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I had a brain fart? Nice......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts