GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here recently I've been hearing a growling sound coming from the front of the bike upon starting the bike first thing in the morning. I have narrowed it down to being the right side headlight adjuster in behind the actual headlight. While I can hear the growling sound I can also see the headlight & reflector trying to move. I can also feel it by placing my hand on the headlight adjuster motor. Nothing has been taken apart electrically in this area of the bike before. Just wondering if this a sign that the headlight adjuster motor may be failing. I also don't see this part listed in the Parts Fiche. The auto adjust on the panel works as it should but the actual motor continues intermittently to operate. Any ideas as to why this is happening & how to correct the problem? Electrical problems are not my forte. All help would greatly be appreciated,,,JC

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It's not the motor going bad but the gear train involved with the movement. I have had my left unit bad now for 4 years. The units are listed in the OEM parts fiche listed u nder 2006 and newer. Look under "headlight" items 25 and 26. The 2 sides are different part #'s.

Wayne

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the motor going bad but the gear train involved with the movement. I have had my left unit bad now for 4 years. The units are listed in the OEM parts fiche listed u nder 2006 and newer. Look under "headlight" items 25 and 26. The 2 sides are different part #'s.

Wayne
Thanks for the quick response. That is the exact part I'm having a problem with. I'm guessing it has plastic gears & they are stripping.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I've had my left motor replaced on my 04.

For what ever reason Honda doesn't list them for 01-05 bikes in the fisch.But rest assured they are indeed all the same motors from 01-12.

It can be swapped out in less than an hour from under the forks.

These are the issue not the gears.The motor goes from lock to lock,and causes the gears to make the noise when the motor doesn't shut off in the end of the up or down position!.

I suggest you UNPLUG the offending motor until you replace it to avoid stripping the gears beyond use.If you don't then you will be replacing that Headlight assembly,as the gears aren't sold seperately!!

Here is te headlight motor to the left of the BAS.
You can see where the plug is under the left bolt of the BAS are.Unplug the connector there to stop the motor from going beserk.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote from Rocky;
I suggest you UNPLUG the offending motor until you replace it to avoid stripping the gears beyond use.If you don't then you will be replacing that Headlight assembly,as the gears aren't sold seperately!!

Thanks Rocky for your suggestion, going out right now to get-er-done....JC

Also put a piece of tape over male & female side to keep moisture & debris out.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What Rocky said, that stupid thing will run and run and run. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts