GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've messed around with the Headlight Adjustment switch, setting it on Hi and Low without any (to me) noticable change in the light pattern. I had a guy stand out in front of the bike at night at about 30 ft, and I ran the switch from Lo to Hi to Lo and he said he couldn't really see any real change. Am I missing something? Are the Pre-load Adjuster and the Headlight Adjuster linked or dependent on eachother to work at a specific parameter? I see no change in the headlight pattern when the adjustment switch is used. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Just wondering if your motor is working...I can see a very big differance at night by running it up or down....Pull up against a garage door and start in the low position and run it up..You should be able to see the light run right up the door a couple inches...Around here on the curves and running up and down hills at night I use mine all the time to get the most from the lights...Also pre-load is not linked....

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
You want to watch them work?
Go into a parking lot at night with a building in it.
Try different distances from the bike to the building and watch as you change the settings how the lights do change angle when raised to project light further down the road.

The building will just show you that they do change.How you set them riding down the road is a personal choice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine were adjusted way too low(topped out)...since it was still under warranty, I let them (Honda) fix -high beams were hitting at about where the low beams should.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the adjusters only work when your engine is running...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to do the garage door or building test, with the engine running. Thanks again. :lol:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the adjusters only work when your engine is running...
:agree: correct once again. The oil pressure switch must be closed (engine running) before the headlight control will work (if it actually is working of course :cool: ).

·
Registered
698 Posts
:agree: correct once again. The oil pressure switch must be closed (engine running) before the headlight control will work (if it actually is working of course :cool: ).
Well! He!!s Bells...you can teach an old dog new tricks...now if I can only remember it...:eek:4:...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine works just fine. Sure came in handy the other night on the road from Texas. I could stretch my headlight beams out without blinding other folks. I was worried about seeing deer.

Mike

·
Registered
954 Posts
Mine works too...

Makes a Wirring noise when adjusting...

I run my highbeams during the day with the adjuster set to max low... then low beams at night with the adjuster at max high.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Run mine in the middle day & night.

When I do need to adjust it it goes up, and it goes down, at my command.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Mine works quite well. I run my preload maxed all the time, so I also run my headlight on it's highest position all the time. The exception, in city traffic, after dark, where I'm stopping right behind cars at light after light, I will run it down to the lowest position. Some cars are just so low that sitting right behind them the Wings lights are aimed right at their rear view mirror, even on low beam, if the lights are left on the highest position.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I really like it...I raise my low beams as much as I can....that's about halfway to the top of the adjustment range...if I'm in a very tight two lane location with a lot of oncoming traffic, I will drop it a bit more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts