GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, what's the purpose of adjusting the headlights from 1 to 10? When I bought the 2012, I set it to 5 and forgot about it. In flipping through the settings this morning, I seen the headlight settings again and wondered why it's needed. I assume it's to adjust whenever you add or lower the suspension preload, but if that's the case, why wouldn't it just be prewired to move the headlight as the preload is adjusted (both tied together). Is it just Honda trying to give us more to play with? Definitely curious...:roll:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Different people weigh different amounts. The rider weight plays a big part in where your headlight shines. If everybody was exactly the same weight it could work as you described...

·
Registered
268 Posts
All of the headlights I have looked at were adjusted fully up. Don't know why there is an electric adjustment and manual adjustment in the fairing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I normally run with my headlights adjusted all the way up, however, when in crowded in-city traffic after dark, that puts my lights right in the rear view mirrors of small low cars when stopped at a traffic light. Knowing how much it is probably blinding the drivers of those cars, even when on low beam, I try to be courtious and turn my light down. Best use I've found for the adjustable headlights.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I normally run with my headlights adjusted all the way up, however, when in crowded in-city traffic after dark, that puts my lights right in the rear view mirrors of small low cars when stopped at a traffic light. Knowing how much it is probably blinding the drivers of those cars, even when on low beam, I try to be courtious and turn my light down. Best use I've found for the adjustable headlights.
+1. I find that when adjusted all the way up, my low beams are pretty high when coming up behind a car, especially the smaller ones. But I don't want to manually adjust them any lower, because I want all the light I can get when I am alone on the highway at night. Mark me up as one who loves the electric adjustment. I wish my Mustang had it.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE​

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

Prewired to do this is not just 'Prewired'. It takes an automatic headlamp leveling sytem(motors,gears,sensors,etc.) and while these do exist and are on some vehicles, it is a very expensive system and I'm sure Honda would not add this high cost to the Wing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts