GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll: With the rear suspension adjusted low and the headlight switch turned to high, the headlight beam is still a bit low on the road for my taste ( even the high-beam ). Is there a way to adjust the headlights manually, after the switch is on high-position, to get a little more distance down the road? I have a mechanics manual but it doesn't dicsuss this.

R

·
0 Posts
I adjusted mine about 7 years ago on my 01.The adjusters are under the headlights.You can see them them looking down thru the fork tunnel.I think you need a stubby philips head screwdriver.I'm sure someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is an 08 GL1800 and the manual doesn't show any philips screws, only shows the adjustment motors have a nut that maybe can be turned.

·
Registered
111 Posts
sabel,
I too have an 08 and have adjusted the headlights a couple of times now (I'm a perfectionist:shrug:). Anyway, there are two 'grey' plastic nuts, about a 9/16 I believe (one for each side) that you can turn by hand after you put the socket over it. I located them 'under' the fairing, with a flashlight, looking up through, to the top of the fairing (hope that isn't too confusing:eek:4:).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks
If I'm not mistaken those must be the same bolts that secure the motors, is that correct? Turning which direction would raise the headlight beam?

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
There are both horizontal and vertical adjustmetments for each lamp independently. Your service manual "should" show them. The vertical adjusters can be moved with either an Allen head drive (5 or 6mm I believe) or a hex socket on an extension (either 12 or 14mm as I recall). Access is from under the tunnels reaching upward. The horizontal adjusters do use a #2 Phillips. A search of this site should yield pics and instructions.

prs

W

·
0 Posts
The instructions and diagram are in the Maintenence section (chapter 4) - it's on page 4-24 in my 06-09 manual.

Bear in mind that there are specifications for how the headlights should be adjusted (or more precisely... how they can legally be adjusted). These usually involve a certain number of inches drop at a certain number of feet distant from a reflective surface. For example, a one inch drop of the upper cutoff line of illumination at twenty feet is a common specification. The Honda manual just says follow local laws. The point is, you can't just adjust the lights higher beyond those specs just because you want more light - please be considerate of others on the road. If you feel that properly aimed headlights aren't sufficient then consider brighter bulbs rather than aiming higher.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I saw it on another forum. They are under the fairing just behind the forks. It has one on each side. They adjust independent of each other. Mine came adjusted just right with the light adjustment nob turned all the way up. That way you only need to adjust one way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts