GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I burned out the left front headlight. I can't figure how to remove the old bulb. I can see and touch the socket, but not sure how to remove it for repalcement. Your help is appreciated. (2002 GW)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
There is a little metal clip that springs over and holds the socket and boot in place. Been a while since I did one but if you have a service manual it should show you.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Hi George, seems like there is a good picture description in the tech section, but here's a quick verbal one.

Reach in (either through the handle bars or up from the bottom via the tunnel) I tend to go in though the handle bars, but I have slender arms.

Reach in and slide the big rubber boot off - pull on the tab to remove the boot from around the rim. Pull the light bulb harness plug off.

There is a small wire bail latch assembly that holds the bulb in the socket. The bail has a lever arm to it, has a bent tip on the end of the lever. Push the lever in towards the bulb, then over towards the center of the socket to get the wire out from underneath the latch clip.

Now the bail swings back and over to the side. Pull the light bulb out.

Remove the spacer that is on the old bulb and place on the new one. Ensure the bulb is very clean (no fingerprints, etc.) put the new bulb back in.

Swing the bail back over, push the lever arm down and swing it back under the latch. Push the harness plug back on - ensuring you line the connector pin tabs up with the bulb (easy to get slightly cocked or try to slide the bulb pin along the side of the female connector instead of into the connector). Push the big rubber boot back on and away you go.

Once you've done it once - takes about two minutes to do future ones.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I agree with most of what ssncob said but doesn't the plug come off first and go on last? It's been a while since I changed one but that's the way I remember it. Yes that is a very good write up makes more sense that most I've heard.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I agree with most of what ssncob said but doesn't the plug come off first and go on last? It's been a while since I changed one but that's the way I remember it. Yes that is a very good write up makes more sense that most I've heard.

Thanks for the compliment - and you may be right regarding the boot - last bulb I replaced was at last year's Tennessee Lunch Run (in the rain, and not my bike). I've got HIDs on my low beams for the last few years - so probably will never have to change mine out again. But when ya gots your monkey paws in there - it should be apparent which came first - the chicken or the egg - I mean the plug or the boot. ;)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thanks to all of you. I will give it a try if I can get my paw in there...I appreciate the responses..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts