GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently added some led driving lights to my 03 and now the stock headlight bulbs look yellow in comparison. Don't do much night riding anymore but would like to have some white bulbs or led replacements in there. Question is, are there some inexpensive plug and play bulbs available to make this happen? There are plenty H7 bulbs in all price ranges but I'm not sure about compatibility. I have not yet pulled either of the bulbs to look at the way they are mounted.

·
motorcycle cowboy
968 Posts
Electrical Connection makes a great LED lamp for the GoldWing. I have them in both low and high beam.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I prefer the SoCalMotoGear. They are easier to install.

Do not go with cheap LED bulbs. Both brands discussed are made specific for Goldwings.

You can also find some more white halogen bulbs by Sylvania. But they have a shorter life.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Love my EC's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have bright white LED driving lights and the stock "yellowish" headlights.

IMHO...The difference in color makes me more noticeable. When I'm driving my pickup in traffic I tend to notice things that look different or odd. I'm hoping the two different light colors will keep me safer.

Reactions: cihilb and DaWadd

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
@Bartman. You beat me to it.

@ritalz couple of items. I used to do work for valeo-sylvania (OEM light mfr). Lot of design criteria regarding the bulbs and housings. The electrical connection led's are the only ones I would use. I've found while others are bright to look at, the actual beam projection down the road doesn't cut it.

Go with EC and @Lewis/EC . You won't be disappointed.

·
motorcycle cowboy
968 Posts
I have bright white LED driving lights and the stock "yellowish" headlights.

IMHO...The difference in color makes me more noticeable. When I'm driving my pickup in traffic I tend to notice things that look different or odd. I'm hoping the two different light colors will keep me safer.
If you ride at night, even if for no more than a few miles, you will appreciate the difference in LED headlights. The fact that you ride a motorcycle makes you notice things more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of good info here. Guess I will have to save up a few dollars to get some new bulbs. Current finances don't allow for upgrades. Maybe when I get back to work.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I believe the linked video is a comparison to the earlier LED bulbs from SoCal. Scott later posted a side by side of both the current offerings and found them similar. I can say I have EC in the low beam and SoCal in the high beam and found the performance indistinguishable. My reason for preferring the SoCal is that the spacer required on the bulb flange is fixed to the bulb on the SoCal but loose on the EC. It's one more thing to balance and get aligned while doing the install by touch with one hand.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
934 Posts
The EC bulbs are $120?? 😧 I never replaced headlight bulbs but wow!

True!

There is nothing at all wrong with the normal halogen bulbs. Quite cost effective price, work fine and last a good long time. They also don't require any unusual adjustments.

The LEDs though do offer a brighter/whiter light and should last for a very, very long time. They also match the color of aftermarket LED fog lights, driving lights, etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The EC bulbs are $120?? 😧 I never replaced headlight bulbs but wow!
You can buy a complete set of HID Xenon buld setup for that or less.

My headlights so bright, you have to be blind drunk or asleep to not see me coming...or texting(sexting)🙄

·
Registered
807 Posts
@ritalz SoCalMotoGear and EC make great LED headlights. Have used them both.

·
IronMan
17,820 Posts
I JUST ORDERED SOME "NEW" LED STYLE FROM CHINA HAVE OLD STYLE ( P9 ) AND HAPPY WITH WILL CHIME IN WHEN I GET NEW ONES BE COUPLE WEEKS COMING FROM CHINA

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a set of Led headlights , i searched and only found recommendations for the EC or HID and HID is what i am taking out, i am tired of fighting ballast and relay problems and want to get something easier to maintain and still have good lighting, i just traded for a 2005 goldwing with a late model california side car kit on it i am 75 and will be a fair weather rider but still like riding, i have a 2012 harley softtail and another 2005 goldwing which i bought new , waiting now for weather to clear enough to replace the old for the new lighting

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I JUST ORDERED SOME "NEW" LED STYLE FROM CHINA HAVE OLD STYLE ( P9 ) AND HAPPY WITH WILL CHIME IN WHEN I GET NEW ONES BE COUPLE WEEKS COMING FROM CHINA
Curious to hear your evaluation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts