GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Recently came across some very cheap H7 bulbs. It was no picnic trying to install them but the job is done. First problem was the collar and the fan are too close together and do not allow the spring clip enough room to fit in. Tried removing the spring but decided that was not a good idea. Was able to carefully pry the collar off and insert it with the clip and then push the bulb and fan into the collar. Next problem was the rubber dust boot. Didn't want to destroy the boot so I simply pushed the boot back into place with the pigtail secured by the boot. Not pretty but it works and it's out of sight. Next problem was trying to plug the pigtail into the socket. Fitment is ok but it was very hard to get it plugged in with one hand. Not near enough room to get both hands in there. Will have to see how well the bulbs do over time but I really like the look of the white led bulbs. Sure would have been easier if the lenses popped out like on most cars. I'm also concerned that the two pronged plugs may vibrate apart at any time. It took a couple of hours to complete the task.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
One of these bulbs failed today. 4 months is not very long for these to last. Think I'll take it apart to see if I can tell what or why it failed. The good part was that I purchased a set of four so I had a spare available. Cheap parts = early failures.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had my HID for over a year now, never failed... my 2005 had thrm for over 3 years, replaced one set of bulbs and ballasts.

I can see @100 yards at night on high beam easily, headlight adjusted all the way up, suspension height set at "7". Hi=55watts.
Low, I can see may be 40 yards or so. Lo=35watts.

My truck had a relay failure on the harness. They're all "crapshoot", you might get a set last years, you might get one set fail within months.

Electrical/electronic had become reliable over the years but, they are not failure proof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Raining today so I took apart the failed led to investigate. On the bench, everything appears to work but the leds are very dim. Looks like a pretty simple setup but the circuit is encased. Probably not repairable but it was worth a look.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts