GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased some H7 6000k bulbs online (standard bulbs not LED or HID). Well I didn't read the ad completely and they 100 watt and not 55 watt. Question is should I or shouldn't I use them?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If they actually output 100 watts (assuming the amount of current won't be limited), you are drawing more current through the wires than a 55 W bulb by a factor of almost 2. Power (Watts) = voltage x current. Your voltage is limited by the alternator output, roughly 14 Volts. The only way to get 100 W is to raise the current/reduce resistance. Power also = Current squared x Resistance. Assuming the higher current doesn't exceed the design rating for the wiring and doesn't blow a fuse, your next problem will be gradual melting of the housing which was designed to dissipate half as much heat. Some using 100 W bulbs have found damage after a few months to years of use. Probably cheaper to get the right size bulbs than a full headlight assembly replacement. I also wouldn't want to pay parts and labor for replacing the wiring harness. Your call, and your piece of mind.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ditto.

The 100w bulbs will generate tremendous heat, and their use in some auto and moto applications have reportedly resulted in melting some headlight reflectors made of plastic.

I would not use 100w bulbs in my vehicles.

You can go to this website and read the technical pros and cons of such high output headlight bulbs: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts