GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be going cross the border. Without trying to stir up the pro/con issue, are they legal in Canada?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've been stopped 3 times here in NY. I have several copies ready to go. When I show the LEO the law they understand the rationale. I also give them a copy to take back to the office with them to share around. I've given up all of 5 minutes and maybe helped out a bit.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Below are both the US and Canadian regulations. I carry a printed copy n my bike. If you get stopped, the first thing you should do is clarify that your headlights are "modulating", not flashing. There is a distinct difference and "flashing" headlights are illegal.

United States
Excerpt from: Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) TITLE 49; PART 571-FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS; Standard No. 108-Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 +- 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000[deg] Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

Excerpt from United States Code (USC) TITLE 49—TRANSPORTATION; Sec. 30103. Relationship to other laws
(b) Preemption.—
(1) When a motor vehicle safety standard is in effect under this chapter, a State or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe or continue in effect a standard applicable to the same aspect of performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment only if the standard is identical to the standard prescribed under this chapter. However, the United States Government, a State, or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe a standard for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment obtained for its own use that imposes a higher performance requirement than that required by the otherwise applicable standard under this chapter.
(2) A State may enforce a standard that is identical to a standard prescribed under this chapter.
Canada

Excerpt from Canadian Technical Standards Document No. 108, Revision 3 Lamps, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 ± 40 cycles per minute.

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 degrees Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than 0.45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of this TSD the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Just make sure that it is MODULATING and not flashing.. The headlight must remain ON at all times and not go completely dark for any amount of time.. For example when the goofballs used to install turn signal flashers in their circuits.. That then becomes simulating an emergency vehicle and will get it impounded

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I have a modulator on my wing. They changed the sections of the law this year in the us and in canada. Section S7.9.4 are not the sections any more. they have changed. i am still trying to find Canada's as it is now Section 108 something something of the transport Canada Act. In BC the section has been added to the motor vehicle act allowing modulators and quotes the section to get to the Transport Act which is federal but it is not there. They are allowed but the sections is the US and Canada have change to give you the configuration of the modulator and how it works. Each provience has the regulation that allows it but must meet the federal laws. Still i cannot find the federal laws for Canada. all of the ones quoted on this site are wrong
Go figure for the government to screw things up

·
Registered
762 Posts
In Canada, modulating lights are legal, but if you've installed them with the high beams, you can be cited as usual if you don't dim your lights for oncoming traffic whether it's during the day or night.

The following was circulated amongst our chapter members last summer:

I encountered a motorcycle with MODULATING high-beam headlights.

The driver was charged under the HTA and Her Worship Justice Breetcher convicted the accused of contravening S.168(a) HTA in Provincial Court.

Please note the following for enforcement purposes should you run into motorcycles with similar equipment:
1) The MODULATING headlight system is legalto have and use under Transport Canada Technical Standards Document No.108,Revision 4 S.7.9.4.
2) S.168(a) and S.168(b)HTA apply if the driver continues to use high beams when approaching a vehicle travelling in the same lane in the same direction within 60 meters unless passing it and/or within 150 meters if the vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction.

Link to the Ontario highway traffic act:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm

Arthur

·
Registered
423 Posts
In Canada, modulating lights are legal, but if you've installed them with the high beams, you can be cited as usual if you don't dim your lights for oncoming traffic whether it's during the day or night.
Sunkist. What I don't get is that if you have them hooked to the lowbeams and want to turn the modulator off for some reason, you have to switch to the highbeams which we all know will cause a problem with the LEOs. What to do????:roll:

Mine are wired into my highbeam and I lower the angle of the headlight during the day light hours.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just make sure that it is MODULATING and not flashing.. The headlight must remain ON at all times and not go completely dark for any amount of time.. For example when the goofballs used to install turn signal flashers in their circuits.. That then becomes simulating an emergency vehicle and will get it impounded
These riders that you call goofballs, have you impounded their bikes?

·
Registered
326 Posts
http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/CanRegHM.html

Try this link. It says in the TS108 standard that the modulator can be wired to either the low or high beam. I can't see how a Provincial regulation can overrule a federal standard. Not having read the transcript of the trial, after 28 years testifying in Traffic Court I know that it all comes down to articulation. Just because one JP or Judge made a traffic court ruling does not mean all modulators are illegal. I testify as an expert witness in Supreme Court on motorcycle riding and safety and I know every trial is different and it's up to the defendant to raise questions & doubts in the Crown's case.

Having a federally-approved and regulated safety device on a high risk vehicle (motorcycle) for conspicuity purposes is hardly the same as high-beaming oncoming traffic or traffic you are following. BTW,I was the person that got the BC MV Regs changed to specifically permit them in BC.

I see that the Ontario regs are essentially the same as in BC,..

Use of passing beam
168. When on a highway at any time when lighted lamps are required to be displayed on vehicles, the driver of a motor vehicle equipped with multiple beam headlamps shall use the lower or passing beam when,

(a) approaching an oncoming vehicle within 150 metres; or
(b) following another vehicle within 60 metres, except when in the act of overtaking and passing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 168.

One could argue that, by definition of modulation, one was using lower or passing beam.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
My modulator is hooked into my low beams. I have a little glass light sensor just under the steering column. i cover that sensor when i want to stop the modulating. a proper hook up with mine was to be on the horn. press it once to turn it on or off. i skipped that portion and just had it wired underneath the seat so that both work at the same time.
They are perfectly legal in Canada and US. Some do have it hooked into their highbeams but i know that highbeams have to be turned off. The intention of turning off the highbeams for on coming traffic makes perfect sense at night but since the law does not distinquish between night and day the police can charge you for not dimming highbeams during the day. total BS but what can you do?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts