GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preferred modulator. I see them ranging in price from $60 up. Which is the best for the 1800? thanks ic

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You will hear pros and cons of each. From what I've seen, the "front runners" are...

Kriss which installs (mostly) under the seat and the Kisan Tech Path Blazer (available from Honda Direct Line) which attach directly to the backs of your headlights.

Personally, I went with the Kriss because of the under-seat installation and some horror stories of how difficult it is to install the Kisan (tight working space, needing small hands, scraped knuckles, working themselves loose and unplugging, etc.).

What I really learned is that the Kriss has its own installation issues (difficult-to-follow instructions, not all installation is under the seat, having to splice wires, etc.).

I think the real bottom line is: they are both quality products and they will both serve you well. Just take your time with installation and make sure you do it right.

Oh yeah... do some research on (for lack of better terminology) "modulator etiquette." There are times when you absolutely should not use one.

Welcome to the board and ride safe!

:beer3:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I installed the "KISSAN". I did have to remove my top shelter but I had to do some other things while I had it off. They say you can do it without it but "they" must have very small hands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
modulator

Thanks guys, one concern was with noise in the radio, I guess this is not a problem with either of these systems. ic

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the Kisan model and I was able to get it installed without removing the top shelter and I have larger hands. Wasn't a breeze, but I did not use any foul language either. :roll:

I have gotten into the habit of switching mine off at stop lights when behind someone, just out of courtesy. With the wife on and intercoms engaged, there is a slight electronic "chirp" when I hit the high beam switch. That's all.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I've been using my Kris modulator for well over a year now. I'm very happy with it. No radio noise, no problems.
Howver, the thing I like most about the Kris is the ability to switch it on and off. This allows me to ride behing folks in a group without driving them crazy.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I've had the Kisan for over a 18 months. I like them, but, I'm one of the folks that had them work loose. The left side is the most difficult to put on,however, I've put them on twice, and am getting reaaaal good at it. Recently, the RIGHT side came off, and that took almost 30 min to get back on. Maybe Kisan is trying to tell me I need more practice on the RIGHT side. :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ivanhoe, I get a slight clicking noise with the Kisan if the audio system is on Aux and no music playing from my Ipod. But no interference with the radio or CB.
I also have had problems with the left modulator coming loose but it not a real problem to pop the left pocket and reach in and push it tight again.
Here is my solution to being able to turn off the modulator during daylight driving.
I mounted the photo cell between the brake reservoir and handlebar. I put some Velcro on the reservoir and handle bar and a piece of black canvas that I can cover the photo cell when I want to fake out the modulator. Works great.

·
Registered
162 Posts
oldtags said:
Here is my solution to being able to turn off the modulator during daylight driving.
I mounted the photo cell between the brake reservoir and handlebar. I put some Velcro on the reservoir and handle bar and a piece of black canvas that I can cover the photo cell when I want to fake out the modulator. Works great.
I take it this is having it modulate the low beam??

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had a Comagination modulator on my VTX and it worked very well. I had it set up to work on the high beam only and is easy to turn off by switching to low beams (which I assume you would do anyway when pulling up behind someone).

I purchased the headlight modulator/brakelight flasher combo for about $84.00 in Aug 05. Did not get the brakelight flasher hooked up before selling the X.

http://www.comagination.com/

You can find a review of the modulators at

www.webbikeworld.com

Do a search on headlight modulator to find the review.

Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts