GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a single point of failure for high beam and low beam? The fuse is good. Could there be a relay that has gone bad?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Check that your starter switch is pulled out all the way. I had a switch once that after being pushed to engage the starter would return enough that the starter would stop, but the headlights would still be cut out. If I pulled on the switch it would return a little further and the headlights would then come back on.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Check that your starter switch is pulled out all the way. I had a switch once that after being pushed to engage the starter would return enough that the starter would stop, but the headlights would still be cut out. If I pulled on the switch it would return a little further and the headlights would then come back on.
:agree: the headlights will turn off when the starter switch is pushed, to help limit current drain on the battery while starting. If the switch does not fully return and make contact for the headlight circuit when released, you no getta da lights.

Kind of a common problem. Clean the switch and won't have problems for a good long while.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleaning the switch did the trick - thanks

Tried the recommended tips a couple of times to no avail. The third time worked. Thanks for the tips and appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Also check the connect at the light bulb where it plugs into the bulb holder -- I had rust and dirt causing a bad connect --

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lights out after using reverse 2012 Gen 2 17K miles

I know my issue happened just after using reverse last night , A few weeks ago I was riding during the day and at a light I was behind a car and didn't see my lights reflecting on the tail of the car, when I got to my destination they were all on, Thought I was just seeing things ? Last night I went to a friends house and I used my reverse to back up on a slight hill and when I disengaged reverse and put the bike in gear the lights all went out !
I left it running and put the side stand down, sure enough no lights at all , running , low beam and high beam all out, my lower faring lights did work. I switched off the engine and turned the ignition back on (engine off) nothing , I then restarted the bike and the lights were back !
Starter switch , what the heck ? I'm going to take it apart and use some Wurth contact oil , then report back

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
WOW! excellent info here, for any future (hopefully none) problems,,,,,,,,,,,, thank you :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I had a guy we had just met ask about the headlights sometimes not working on his GL1500. Nice guy, so I decided to have some fun. He had started the bike. Lights were on before start, but not after. I asked him to check his tail lights. As he turn away I popped the starter button. When he looked back and saw the lights on I told him my bill was $50 for fixing it!

After a good laugh we shut bike off, exercised the switch for a bit, sliding finger off the side of the switch so it jumped back out instead of a slow release. After that they came on every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
what about replacing the switch

I had the same problem.... messed and messed with the switch and could get it to flash on and off but could not keep it on.... took the switch apart and found one of the wires broken where it goes into the start switch....could not get it soilders back together....has to soider the wires together now the head light stays on while trying to start the bike.
Can a person get a switch or do you have to buy the whole control?????

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I had the same problem.... messed and messed with the switch and could get it to flash on and off but could not keep it on.... took the switch apart and found one of the wires broken where it goes into the start switch....could not get it soilders back together....has to soider the wires together now the head light stays on while trying to start the bike.
Can a person get a switch or do you have to buy the whole control?????
It's necessary to buy the whole control. Check with some salvage yards.

>CLICK ME<

You will need to remove all the right side hardware to put on the new one and the easiest is to get to the top bridge under the speedo and remove the two bolts holding the handle bar on.

You could cut the "new" one from the control and leave lots of wire so you have enough to solder the new one onto your old wires. That would be much less work than doing a replace of the whole shebang.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Hey , I just learned something myself today..............Thank you!

Ronnie

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Glad this old post still helps. That’s the whole reason of troubleshooting on the board, it leaves behind a record of actions that may help many down the road. Just for the new guys, if you suspect the starter switch is an issue, put the bike into reverse and see if the lights come on. If they do, then it’s most likely the switch. If they don’t come on in reverse, it’s something else, bulbs, relay, fuse, etc... Reverse bypasses the starter switch so the lights stay on while you’re backing up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts