GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I rode with some friends. At a stop the guy riding in front of me says one of my headlights was dimmer than the other. When I got home I
looked at it and noticed that the problem is the headlights are not aimed the same. One is aimed a little lower than the other. So, what do I do about this?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
there was a thread about this the other day. Honda engineered this to keep the lights from blinding an oncoming vehicle.

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
there was a thread about this the other day. Honda engineered this to keep the lights from blinding an oncoming vehicle.
I'd agree with that theory John if we rode on the other side of the road! :eek: It's always the right light that's lower than the left! When my '08 was delivered both low beams shined on the frt fender. LOL!!! I turned each adjuster almost 25 full turns...

It's a crap shoot how they come adjusted. The cruise adjusting person must be in charge of headlight aim also... ROFL....

See you tomorrow Mr a/c... :)

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
The right hand light may appear dimmer but it really isn't. It is purposely aimed close to the right hand ditch line as it should be. If you ride a properly adjusted Goldwing 1800 at night ,you will see that this is the best headlite system on any bike. At least any bike I ever owned and I've owned a lot.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I have no use for a right ditch lights; that purpose is very well served by the EC Platinums in the lower center cowl. What I want and need is the best foreward lighting of the roadway that I can get. For me, that meant raising the right lamp to meet the left and also bringing it to center just a tad. There are manual adjusters for vertical and horizontal on each lamp and they turn very easily, once you find them. Service manual has them outlined. State regs vary, but if you set your rear suspension preload to your favorite spot and then aim them to be just slightly below level with the electric vertical adjuster at about the bottom third of its range; then you will be close to how I am set up. Silverstars help too.

prs

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
The right hand light may appear dimmer but it really isn't. It is purposely aimed close to the right hand ditch line as it should be. If you ride a properly adjusted Goldwing 1800 at night ,you will see that this is the best headlite system on any bike. At least any bike I ever owned and I've owned a lot.
No doubt about that. I went from a GL1200 to the GL1800 and the first time I rode after sunset... WOW!

With 2 headlights (on dim) it doesn't make sense to me to have them both pointed at the exact same spot. It makes more sense to me to spread the light out a bit. Yeah, it looks a little weird when looking at the bike but I'm more interested in seeing down the road.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Park bike with headlamp lens 25' from a wall on level floor. Suspension set and bike loaded as U ride it most of the time and with the autoadjuster switch in the middle position.
W/bike setting level, re as U would be riding most of the time, measure from floor to the center of the upper beam(bright lights on).
Measure same distance up on the wall and draw a horizontal line.
adjust each headlamp using the manual vertical adjuster w/the other lamp covered, til the brightest "spot" of the beam is just below the horizontal line on the wall.
Place a vertical line on the wall that is on centerline of your bike.
Adjust each headlamp w/the manual horizontal adjuster w/the other lamp covered so the beam is just to the right of the vertical line.
U now can load and unload the bike as U would ride it 2up, loaded for an extended trip, etc. Then using the auto adjust knob move the headlamps up/down until the beam pattern strikes just below the horizontal line on the wall. Remember or mark the switch positions on the bike.
U now know where to have the autoadjust switch set for different bike loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts