GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight for the 2d time, I started up the bike at work & the headlights didn't come on. First time I shut it off & restarted it & they came right on, this time I restarted it & they stayed off until I flipped the hi-low switch a couple times & they came on. Both times this has happened it has been in the high 70's during the day & cooled down to the 50's by the time I get out of work. The other lights work, just no headlights at first & the idea of riding home in the dark on country roads with no headlights doesn't appeal to me. I haven't noticed it doing this during the day. Once they come on both the high & low beams work.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
headlights

First thing to check is the starter switch. It turns the headlights off till the engine starts.

·
Vendor
17,802 Posts
Pull the starter switch out ... get it cleaned/lubed, or replace the assembly to correct.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Most likely the start switch but could also be the low beam relay sticking. Clean the start switch first and if that does not fix it then replace the low beam relay.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a can of the electronic cleaner/lube from radio Shack. To get to the switch do I just have to loosen the screws at the bottom & is anything waiting to pop out when I do this?

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I got a can of the electronic cleaner/lube from radio Shack. To get to the switch do I just have to loosen the screws at the bottom & is anything waiting to pop out when I do this?
Yup.

Check here: >CLICK<

:shrug:Wonder why there are so many of these posts about dirty start switches lately.....

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back in from spraying everything I could get to in the switch & after frost started to melt worked the buttons several times. Before, when pushing the starter button & releasing it you could move it back toward you slightly with your finger, now it comes all the way back on it's own. Blew it out with gentle compressed air then wrapped it with a few paper towels to catch anything that drips out to keep it off the paint. Thank you to all who replied :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts