GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had a Headlight failure?

I had the headlight assembly replaced 2 weeks ago on an insurance claim due to a cracked lens caused by a piece of road debris flung up by a vehicle in front of me. So not the bike's fault

The right side LEDs of the new Headlight Assembly stopped working last night, left side LEDs still working on both hi/low beam. Reseated the sub harness at the headlight assembly, still have the issue. Looking at the Service Manual & Electrical Trouble Manual the failure must be within the headlight assembly, not the Front Controller or a fuse.

Booked an appointment for the assembly to be replaced under warranty later this week (part alone is $1,800 USD/$2,500 CDN, plus several hours labour….very pricey repair).

Tim

Reactions: Fluke189

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How does the warranty cover our headlights?
Good Question.

The Part & Labour will be covered for me as the assembly was new from the Honda Dealer 2 weeks ago & had early life failure.

As far as the Headlight Assembly & Labour being covered under the Standard 3 Year Gold Wing Warranty or Extended Warranty..... According to the Honda Canada website the Headlight Assembly is not included in "norm & wear" exceptions.

Warranty is provided by the Distributor ie: Honda Canada or Honda America etc, the legalise of each Country can vary. Best check with your local USA dealer or the Honda America website. I have no idea if there is some kind of "Charge Back Agreement" between Honda Canada or Honda America and Honda Japan during the 3 Year Warranty period.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
Anyone else had a Headlight failure?

I had the headlight assembly replaced 2 weeks ago on an insurance claim due to a cracked lens caused by a piece of road debris flung up by a vehicle in front of me. So not the bike's fault

The right side LEDs of the new Headlight Assembly stopped working last night, left side LEDs still working on both hi/low beam. Reseated the sub harness at the headlight assembly, still have the issue. Looking at the Service Manual & Electrical Trouble Manual the failure must be within the headlight assembly, not the Front Controller or a fuse.

Booked an appointment for the assembly to be replaced under warranty later this week (part alone is $1,800 USD/$2,500 CDN, plus several hours labour….very pricey repair).

Tim

I have not experienced a LED headlight failure.

:doorag:

·
Registered
27 Posts
$1,800!?! This is why I'm becoming more and more opposed to the idea of buying ANY new bike. The halogen headlight housing for my 6 year old BMW is $1,400. The newer LED units are a lot more. It's just crazy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, please keep us updated. Good luck.
The dealer replaced the "early life failure" Headlight Assembly today, no charge for part or labour. All is good now. I may consider getting an extended warranty, although it a bit more expense here in Canada than the USA.

Tim

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,573 Posts
The dealer replaced the "early life failure" Headlight Assembly today, no charge for part or labour. All is good now. I may consider getting an extended warranty, although it a bit more expense here in Canada than the USA.

Tim
Good to hear that all is right now. These LED headlights and such is the main reason I'm getting the extended warranty. I like the way the LED headlight looks and all but it's just too expensive. There was really nothing wrong with the old light bulbs that were cheap to replace and this LED headlight really doesn't work any better. I'm not so sure Honda made a good move going with LEDs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts