GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My low beam headlight went out on my 2008. I want to go back with a more powerful light. Any suggestions? Also LED vs HID?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Headlight bulbs are cheap. Low beams easy to replace.

Upgrade if you want, but I wouldn't do it because a bulb went out.

As far as upgrades, unless you actually put in a HID system for a few hundred that is designed for the bike, I'd probably just go back with stock. LED replacement bulbs might be brighter, but I don't think they throw the light as far or completely.

Having said that, I haven't looked in a couple years. There may be other options now worth considering.

Reactions: CAWing and Big Tee

·
Registered
477 Posts
Have had my EC LED bulbs in my '06 for a couple months (and 5,000 miles) They replaced some "high output halogen" bulbs. The ECs are WAY BETTER at illuminating at night, and from having seen them on other bikes, they are much better at being noticed.

I plan on keeping the ECs forever...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headlight bulbs are cheap. Low beams easy to replace.

Upgrade if you want, but I wouldn't do it because a bulb went out.

As far as upgrades, unless you actually put in a HID system for a few hundred that is designed for the bike, I'd probably just go back with stock. LED replacement bulbs might be brighter, but I don't think they throw the light as far or completely.

Having said that, I haven't looked in a couple years. There may be other options now worth considering.
Thanks, IDK yet but my experience in mechanic work is one side goes do the other. Being 11 years old the other is probably not far behind. It looks like it might be hard pulling off all the plastic...but will find out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks, IDK yet but my experience in mechanic work is one side goes do the other. Being 11 years old the other is probably not far behind. It looks like it might be hard pulling off all the plastic...but will find out.
Low beams are easy...can reach without removing any tupperware. High beams need the right and left "glove compartments" removed.

Lots of you tube videos to help.

Only disclaimer is that if you have XXL hands, then may be more of a challenge..

Reactions: CAWing and Big Tee

·
Registered
7,037 Posts

You can do both low beams without any tools and without removing any plastic. You access them from the backside by reaching past the handlebars, unplugging the wire, removing the rubber cover, and then releasing the catch that holds them in their socket.

It might take a bit of practice at first but once you figure out how it works, you can do them both in 5 minutes. Even if you have no clue, it might take 30 minutes, max and that will be 25 for the first and then 5 for the second after you've learned how it works.

Now...as mentioned earlier....your high beams are an entirely different story....

Reactions: Big Tee

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've had Phillips Silverstars, Osrams (the good German ones), and one other high output off road bulb that I caint remember right now, and none of 'em ever lasted a year. Unless you like changing expensive bulbs frequently, I wouldn't bother with 'em. (and I hated waitin' on the next one to go out at the worst possible moment!)
Went back to OEM from dealer and haven't had one go out since, but...
I gotta admit, I'm not particularly impressed with the factory Honda bulbs output. Like you I want something better.
Everyone keeps sayin' Lewis's LED's at EC are the bomb & I've almost talked myself into upgrading the low beams.
(By the way, I change the low beams by reaching up from the bottom sittin' beside the front wheel facing forward. To me this is easier, I can do it blindfolded in about 67 seconds:thumbup:)
Best of on your search for "enlightment":laugh:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Last headlamp I replaced was in a Shadow 1100. I put in a Cyclops Adventure Sport LED and never had to turn on the high beam again.
Nice horizontal cutoff, reflective signs a half mile away looked on fire. Also put in an LED from Superbright LED's in an old Ultra Classic and the day and night difference was phenomenal. And nobody flashed their brights at me.
The cyclops had a tiny fan built in, the SB Led did not. No problems as long as I owned them.
Just like Quartz Halogens got phased in for cars in the 80's, we need quality LED's to be standard in bikes.

·
Registered
678 Posts
$120 for two bulbs. How does that compare to the cost of OEM bulbs ?
$ Comparision...$17.90/ea on Partzilla
Performance Comparison...None !!

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I just replaced 1 bulb 2 weeks ago. low beam.

What a PITA. I scraped the hel* out of my arm and fingers reaching back and forth to do the job. My arm looks like a burn spot now until it all heals. I should have just paid the $60 labor rate.

I replaced with the OEM standard ones. I do not ride much, if ever at night.

Small arm and hand is the trick along with watching youtube vids

Reactions: Big Tee

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I just put in the EC LEDs. Both hi and low. I think I'm a fan, though only one ride at dusk so far.

I think it's only fair to the OP to note that the EC install a little more involved than a straight bulb replacement because you have to tuck the power unit in somewhere. I had the shelter off anyway, no big deal for me. Still very doable.

+1 to "upgrade if you want, but not because the bulb burned out." I shopped for a while and am moving from HIDs. There's not another upgrade that is better than the ECs IMHO.

+1 to do both low beams at the same time.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Another vote for the EC LEDs. Got them at WingDing, and really like them. If you ride much in the dark, I suspect you, too, will really like them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can do both low beams without any tools and without removing any plastic. You access them from the backside by reaching past the handlebars, unplugging the wire, removing the rubber cover, and then releasing the catch that holds them in their socket.

It might take a bit of practice at first but once you figure out how it works, you can do them both in 5 minutes. Even if you have no clue, it might take 30 minutes, max and that will be 25 for the first and then 5 for the second after you've learned how it works.

Now...as mentioned earlier....your high beams are an entirely different story....
Thanks 2WheelNut, I'm glad its that easy and no pulling tupperware!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had Phillips Silverstars, Osrams (the good German ones), and one other high output off road bulb that I caint remember right now, and none of 'em ever lasted a year. Unless you like changing expensive bulbs frequently, I wouldn't bother with 'em. (and I hated waitin' on the next one to go out at the worst possible moment!)
Went back to OEM from dealer and haven't had one go out since, but...
I gotta admit, I'm not particularly impressed with the factory Honda bulbs output. Like you I want something better.
Everyone keeps sayin' Lewis's LED's at EC are the bomb & I've almost talked myself into upgrading the low beams.
(By the way, I change the low beams by reaching up from the bottom sittin' beside the front wheel facing forward. To me this is easier, I can do it blindfolded in about 67 seconds:thumbup:)
Best of on your search for "enlightment":laugh:
Mr. Whiskey I probably will order an OEM bulb and maybe do the ECs later.
Thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I find the OEM work fine. Walmart has the exact same Philips bulbs, made in Germany. I've only used OEM or the Walmart, and they work and last the same basic time, around 45,000 miles. Walmart is not a huge savings, maybe $2 or $3 per bulb, but at least you can go get them locally.
I go against the popular "replace both" and just replace one at a time. Guys say one goes out, the other will follow soon. Mine was about a 5,000 mile difference. Now say I'm riding at 2:00AM in pitch black, and one bulb burns out, the other one is 5,000 miles newer, so not much worry of it burning out for a while. Stagger the replacements so although both bulbs last the same basic time, they don't both burn out the same time and leave you in the dark.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I find the OEM work fine. Walmart has the exact same Philips bulbs, made in Germany. I've only used OEM or the Walmart, and they work and last the same basic time, around 45,000 miles. Walmart is not a huge savings, maybe $2 or $3 per bulb, but at least you can go get them locally.
I go against the popular "replace both" and just replace one at a time. Guys say one goes out, the other will follow soon. Mine was about a 5,000 mile difference. Now say I'm riding at 2:00AM in pitch black, and one bulb burns out, the other one is 5,000 miles newer, so not much worry of it burning out for a while. Stagger the replacements so although both bulbs last the same basic time, they don't both burn out the same time and leave you in the dark.
Only issue is if you hit a SHARP bump.....lost both my low beams and both my PIAA Halogen driving lights all at once....all bulbs with open filaments. Suspect the EC LEDS will be much more robust....(rode home from Florida on high beams during day).....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts