GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a quick flicker, both high and low beams. Does not go out completely just seem to be flickering from dim to bright. The volt meter stays steady. Any idea as to the cause and where to start to clear it up. Its an 05

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I suppose just cause, check the battery connections , make sure they are clean and tight.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Clean your start button. That is the only thing that will cause all four headlights to malfunction.

>CLICK<

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't suppose a previous owner installed a headlight modulator. Did you check?

S

·
0 Posts
Maybe it's an old police bike - don't they use that alternating light deal?

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
OP states "quick" flicker. Modulators are slow and work the high beams only during daylight hours.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
low beam out completely

when I replace bulb hope I can tell if thats a result or the cause of. I am the original owner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to have an '03 that I'd be riding and with no warning I'd hit a bump and the headlights would go out, all of them.

I jacked with it for hours but could never figure it out. It would only do it at night, or at least that's the only time I ever noticed it. Relay's all worked and fuses and electical connections all good drove me absolutely NUTS!!!!

Finally noticed that when I'd start the bike the starter button would not come all the way back out because it was sticking in. Not enough to keep the starter motor enganged, but enough so that it didn't come back out all the way. Remember the lights go out when you start the bike so the starter can have full battery power. When you let the switch back out it re-energizes the headlight realy.

All I can think of was that with the starter button not coming back out all the way maybe the contacts in the switch were over heating or making poor contact and the bump was enough to disengage the headlight relay without engaging the starter.

Can't say for certain if that was it because I traded the bike a few months after I cleaned and lubed the starter button, but it didn't happen again after that.

Hope that helps.
:thumbup:

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds like that could be a logical avenue to persue.

I have had intermitant problems with the clutch switch getting bugs and mainly bug wings stuck between the contacts so the Cruise would not come on. Perhaps just give it a blast of air to clean it out may fix or change the behavior.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ahh Lucas the Prince of darkness

I notice on my 08 the headlight flicker at idle is this the same as yours. Or does it do it at all RPM's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts