GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out yesterday and pulled up to park and could see my/bike reflection in a store window.....no headlights! High and Low not working....dang!!!

Checked the fuses today, looked in the manual for hints, checked some other fuses, all OK.

Then, before I started to dig deeper (requires disassembly), I check the vast repository of knowledge here :thumbup:....and low and behold, it was a sticky starter switch that killed the lights...all better now, without having to tear into the bikes innards!! Yes!! Thank You All.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I was out yesterday and pulled up to park and could see my/bike reflection in a store window.....no headlights! High and Low not working....dang!!!

Checked the fuses today, looked in the manual for hints, checked some other fuses, all OK.

Then, before I started to dig deeper (requires disassembly), I check the vast repository of knowledge here :thumbup:....and low and behold, it was a sticky starter switch that killed the lights...all better now, without having to tear into the bikes innards!! Yes!! Thank You All.
I found out when I didn't see my lights on the back of a car. Looked down, and my brights weren't on(didn't see the blue light). switched to low beams, still no light,...

ended up stopping, looking. no lights. Stopped bike, started up, worked fine. Figured out on this board what the problem was. Glad you found out before someone 'DIDN'T SEE YOU'.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had the same problem last year...lots of riding in 90*+ weather with many stops and starts. The starter switch got a little sticky and would not return to the full out position.
I discovered it riding through a tunnel in the dark :eek:4:

After I start the bike now, I just give the lever a little push from the back just to make sure. Cleaning it with silicone spray did the trick for me...no disassembly, just spray on the top of the lever and work it for a minute or so. Good to go. :doorag:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great site, great people, great info.
If we all help we can all keep our knees in the breeze!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Great site, great people, great info.
If we all help we can all keep our knees in the breeze!
:agree: This site has the greatest bunch of folks willing to share their knowledge....................and helping others to learn from their own boo-boos. :thumbup:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I sprayed the starter switch and all is good. I will dis-assemble the switch this winter and give it a good cleaning and lub unless it acts up again before the winter. For now, I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Back in the not-so-good old days we could reach out and put our hand in front of the headlight to see if it was on. Actually I still do it occasionally when I ride my 72 Sportster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts