GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Navi

Tonight, hit the high beam switch for the first time in months and the headlights went completely out. Fortunately I was still near town so I pulled over and flipped the switch a bunch of times. Also turned the bike off a couple times and started over. Low beams came on once but then off again. Finally, they came on and I stopped hitting switches. Drove 50 miles home without high beams (fortunately not deer country). Got in the garage and tried the high beams and of course they work like they should now!

Other clue might be that a while before my high beam event my radio preset station buttons didn't respond and I think the volume switch didn't either. I just thought I was messing up with my gloves or something, but perhaps it's related. They also work fine once I got home. And finally, as I was switching the high beam off and on with no result, I think I saw the little light that says "volume" (or whatever) beside the volume switch going off and on with my switching - but not the other lights. That light is right near the high beam switch (hmmmm....).

Since it's working now, I'm inclined to leave it - but common sense says it's probably not a good thing to have happen at speed.

I'm a total doofus with wrenches and even more so with anything electrical. I'll likely have to go to a dealer, but it would be nice to have some idea of what might be wrong in case I can help them to avoid the uber-expensive fix.

Any ideas?

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
check battery connections / loose / dirty . sometimes its easy stuff ?? dont think anything major if comes back on. techdude2000 will fix ya up :bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
switch

You may have a sticky start switch. I don't recall it affecting the other items that you've mentioned, but it's possible, I guess. First if it is the start switch, it may be occurring during daylight hours without you noticing. If it is, you are riding without your headlights on and don't know it. So, until you are sure of the issue, dbl check for your headlights. The next time that this happens, pull out on the starter switch. Just get your finger behind it and it should pop out. They can be cleaned. There are several threads about cleaning switches. You can take the route I did and buy a new switch assembly for the right handlebar too.

Richard

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The only thing that will cause both systems (HI & LO) to be dead is the start switch. There are three sources for the headlights, LO relay - HI relay - LEFT HI (direct from the HI/LO switch). They share in common only the feed from the start switch.

>CLICK HERE< for more details and methods to fix/clean the start switch.

In a pinch, on the road, the start switch is really the only switch affected by a squirt of cleaner from the outside.
:fullsize:
startswitchexteral.jpg

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
Check your battery connections, use a 10 mm socket to make sure the bolts are tight.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody. I'll check battery connections and play with the starter switch when I get home tonight.

Battery connections I can sort of understand, although all the other dash lights were staying on, but never in a million years would I have guessed the starter switch since it was turning on the high beams that seemed to cause my problems. Thank goodness for the interwebs! (and you guys!!)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I don't see how a battery connection can cause a selective electrical outage--wouldn't everything be on, off or intermittent?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts