GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with my 2003 GL1800. I made a trip to Baton Rouge, LA About 170 miles each-way from my home, Monday evening. Left at 4:20 evening got home at 11:54 almost midnight. Stopped outside of Rayne on I-10 and helped a fellow goldwinger for about 45 min. Fixed his flat tire with the handy dandy mushroom plug kit I bought from http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com, worked great and got him back on the road. Great Trip except for one thing, when I stopped to help him I pulled up behind the wing on I-10, I put my bike in neutral and left it running and turned on the emergency flashers. After we plugged the tire and figured out his onboard air pump would take to long to air up his tire I went to pull up beside him and use my Wal-Mart compressor to air up his tire. I noticed my low beam headlights did not work, so I switched to high beam, nothing. Note all other lights and radios, etc were working, no problem. I pulled up beside him and hooked up my compressor to my bike and aired up his tire, no problem. His battery was down so I recommended we let it set for a few min and try to start his bike after the battery recovered. So I turned my attention to my bike. After checking fuses, wiggled wires I decided maybe I needed to turn off the ignition and let it reset for some reason, so I did sure enough the headlights came back on at start-up, Ok problem resolved, wrong. When I took off I noticed every time I shifted the headlights would go out so I decided to stop at Crowley about 4 miles away and check it out. When I exited the freeway I hit the front brake lightly and the headlights went out then back on when I released the brake. Then I noticed when I turned the handle bars the lights would blink, short right, HUM. I stopped at a station and when I did I could just about do anything and the lights would blink-out, even shaking the handlebars. I pulled over turned off the bike took off my ridding gear, put the bike on the center stand and started it up. Never could get them to blink again, HUM. I checked wires in and around the handlebars and other areas I could reach no change. Rode home about 80 miles even rode some over rough roads no more problems. Any thoughts on this issue? Anyone have problems such as this with the headlight switch?
You guys have been great with problems so I thought I would check here first?
Jim in LA

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
I didn't read your 1,000 word paragraph, but "lights out" it's sometimes a dirty starter button on the bar. That's the first place I would pay attention to.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Red said:
I didn't read your 1,000 word paragraph, but "lights out" it's sometimes a dirty starter button on the bar. That's the first place I would pay attention to.
Pretty spunky this evening eh Red............ :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dirty Starter Button

Red said:
I didn't read your 1,000 word paragraph, but lights out it's sometimes a dirty starter button on the bar.
Got the dirty starter buttion, appreciate that, will check and try wshing it out with contact cleaner, Thanks!
Sorry I did not eleborate enough on the problem or symptoms, thought 1000 words was enough though, will try to do better next time!
Ride Safe
Jim
:D

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
Re: Dirty Starter Button

JCAL said:
Red said:
I didn't read your 1,000 word paragraph, but lights out it's sometimes a dirty starter button on the bar.
Got the dirty starter buttion, appreciate that, will check and try wshing it out with contact cleaner, Thanks!
Sorry I did not eleborate enough on the problem or symptoms, thought 1000 words was enough though, will try to do better next time!
Ride Safe
Jim
:D
Been riding and building a gate for my fence all day in the hot sun. Don't feel like reading a book to help someone with a problem! LOL...

Flushing the starter switch with contact cleaner is the right thing to try first.

Between the sun, one eye, and the sweat, I can't see didley. :roll:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
See, Red, having sunny weather all the time isn't always the best. :lol: Cloudy up here today, so I went for a ride and ended up at my sisters' house. Spent the afternoon there, and got to ride home in the rain tonight. In another month or so, we'll be sitting up here letting our skin get that real pale look, while you poor guys are down in FL getting burned. :wink:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Friend of mine(05 wing) and I were enroute home a couple weeks ago at around 8:00pm. I was leading when his headlights just went off for about 5 seconds then came back on. No trouble before or since, then we very rarely ride after sunset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts