GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 I can not get the headlight to come up enough. I did a search on this site and I see than I'm not the only one that has this problem. So which nuts do I adjust for the up and down?

Has anyone done a URL on this with some pix? I did look in the service manual but the description is pretty vauge to say the least. Also I did read in one on the earlier posts that you just set the dash adjust switch to the highest position and then turn the manual adjuster all the way up?

Does that sound like the way to do it? Also which way would you turn the nuts to go up?

TIA,
John

08 WIng

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem with my 08. I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted it "up" so the adjuster was set in the middle of the range. It's been fine ever since. It took all of about 30 minutes to do. I think they get to the mechanical adjusters under the fairing from the outside.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
It a piece of cake to adjust. The shop manual explains it very well. Just lay on the floor and look up into the fork well and you will see the adjuster nuts. Once you know where they are you can sit on a 5 gallon bucket next to the front wheel and make the adjustment with metric nut driver or use a 1/4 inch driver handle with some extensions. Use the advanced search function on this board, it works very well. This has been covered many times.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
It's a covered warranty repair. But to each his own. I don't do anything to my bike if Honda has to fix it for free.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"shop manual explains it very well"

You have to be kidding :shrug:

Thanks for the info, I will give it a whirl. BTW I read in a different post that one person just turned each nut as far as they would go? Does that sound good? Also which was is up and which was is down ?????

It a piece of cake to adjust. The shop manual explains it very well. Just lay on the floor and look up into the fork well and you will see the adjuster nuts. Once you know where they are you can sit on a 5 gallon bucket next to the front wheel and make the adjustment with metric nut driver or use a 1/4 inch driver handle with some extensions. Use the advanced search function on this board, it works very well. This has been covered many times.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
JJR;2378999 BTW I read in a different post that one person just turned each nut as far as they would go? Does that sound good? Also which was is up and which was is down ????? [/quote said:
When I adjust the headlamps on my bike, I have someone my size sitting on the bike with the engine running keeping the bike suspension loaded with rider weight. With the bike facing the garage door you can clearly see if the beam cutoff is rising or falling as you turn the adjuster. Since it appears that yours are messed up I would center the consol adjuster and then adjust the beam accordingly. Measure the height of the headlamp at the center and then place some blue masking tape on the door or wall your aiming at at that same height. With the bike at least 20 feet away set the cutoff of the low beam about one inch lower then your tape. When your done there should be more then enough adjustment at the console to compensate for a lightly or heavily load bike. You may want to hang a towel over one headlamp while working on the other, then switch. Then just make sure the beam cut off is the same for both and your done. This should take about 2 or 3 minutes to do for each headlamp at the most. Once you know where each adjuster is by feel, you can easily make the adjustment with the socket on a thumbwheel ratchet.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Piece of cake, FWIW clock-wise goes UP and counter-clockwise goes DOWN......

Thanks

When I adjust the headlamps on my bike, I have someone my size sitting on the bike with the engine running keeping the bike suspension loaded with rider weight. With the bike facing the garage door you can clearly see if the beam cutoff is rising or falling as you turn the adjuster. Since it appears that yours are messed up I would center the consol adjuster and then adjust the beam accordingly. Measure the height of the headlamp at the center and then place some blue masking tape on the door or wall your aiming at at that same height. With the bike at least 20 feet away set the cutoff of the low beam about one inch lower then your tape. When your done there should be more then enough adjustment at the console to compensate for a lightly or heavily load bike. You may want to hang a towel over one headlamp while working on the other, then switch. Then just make sure the beam cut off is the same for both and your done. This should take about 2 or 3 minutes to do for each headlamp at the most. Once you know where each adjuster is by feel, you can easily make the adjustment with the socket on a thumbwheel ratchet.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about the warranty??????????????

Would I take the bike in to have the dealer fix it under my warranty? NOPE its too simple to adjust. If I had the bike in for the first service and they needed adjustment I would have then do it at that time becuase the bike was already there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts