GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that the clutch side high beam is a little dimmer than the throttle side. A friend of mine was having his bulbs changed at a dealership with a pair of ultrastars for the high beams. When he received his bike, he checked them and noticed that the clutch side was a little dimmer than the other. He got another set of bulbs, (thinking one was bad) had it replaced, but still had the same outcome. The mechanic checked three other wings and they all were dimmer on the clutch side. They checked the voltage between them and found that the clutch side had about .15 less voltage the the throttle side. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Sounds like a loose and or dirty contact in the circuit.

Are you sure the brightness difference is not caused by slight difference in the alignment of the lights?

·
Registered
39 Posts
clutch side

02 wing same way most cars are set the same way so it doesnt blind on coming traffic. my buddy has a 01 it is the same .:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Tom Finch noticed that about 3 years ago and posted about it

mine is also slightly dimmer on the same side but i never would have noticed it if Tom Finch hadn't pointed it out

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
They are powered from a slightly different path from each other. The right one gets power from fuse #24 thru the highbeam relay and the left one gets power from fuse #9 thru the starter switch and the high beam switch. More components to drop a little voltage on the way to left one. And they are aimed slightly different just like auto's lights.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The left HI beam is fed straight from the start switch through the HI/LO switch from the battery. The right hi beam is switched using the HI relay. Both lo beams are switched using the LO relay.

It's a good idea to NOT have your hi beams on when you start your bike, it strains the start switch.

Whether this dimmer left light is a direct result of its different wiring is up for conjecture, but there is a difference in the hi wires. Could it be intentionally dim? Another good question. 55 watts is 55 watts. If the "apparent difference" is due to the reflector, that's another possibility. Anyone ever counted the facets?

Thinking provincially, one would assume that this is intentional - making the LEFT light dimmer. But, remember, these are "world" bikes and the fiche does not show different numbers for the right and left headlight assemblies or harness for different countries for it to be intentionally dimmer on the RIGHT in those countries.

I think that's an accident of the wiring design alone.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
It's a good idea to NOT have your hi beams on when you start your bike, it strains the start switch.
I thought the lights went out when you hit the starter switch.

And the left low beam is aimed lower than the right low beam, as a factory setting. That is why you will see a dimmer left light in your mirror when another wing is following you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts