GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked in the manual and it doesn't appear to be too difficult to do the low beam bulb. It looks like you go in from underneath and nothing except the dust cover needs to come off. Is this correct.
Are there bolts on the dust cover doesn't seem to be in the manual.

I assume both sides should be coming on for the low beam(I only have one side-the right side).

Buy from Honda or are they a generic type that can be picked up at an auto supply store?

·
Registered
459 Posts
low beams

turn the bars to the right, do the left. remove dust cover, it pulls off. remove hinged clip.should hook at 9 o'clock,rotate down to 8 o'clock and it will release. unplug light first. don't touch new bulb with bare hands,re-assemble left and do the right side. bulbs are bulbs imho. save the good take-off for spare emergency.:yes1:

·
Vendor
17,354 Posts
Remove the spacer off the back of the old bulb and transfer it to the new one. You can get replacements any where even Walmart. They are an H7. It is best too replace both low beams at the same time.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Greg,
I disagree with changing both bulbs. Since it is so easy to change the low beams, I only changed the burned out lamp. The other side lasted an additional 10 months. Lamps may burn out in a day or a year or in 6 years (my last one). Why waste the time? This model Goldwing is my first with 2 headlamps. And since they are H7's, many places carry them.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Greg,
I disagree with changing both bulbs. Since it is so easy to change the low beams, I only changed the burned out lamp. The other side lasted an additional 10 months. Lamps may burn out in a day or a year or in 6 years (my last one). Why waste the time? This model Goldwing is my first with 2 headlamps. And since they are H7's, many places carry them.
10 months? You were just lucky is suspect. The first time that I had a right low beam burn out on my 03, I changed just the one in the parts store parking lot. Turned it on to check and then went inside to get another H7 for the left side that burnt out while watching the right.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Yep, they usually go out VERY close to each other.

prs

·
Registered
616 Posts
Guys,
Buy the two pack - it's cheaper and the spare is handy...;)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
For me the hardest part of changing a Honda headlight bulb is getting the wire retaining spring locked back into place. An 10" long 1/2" wooden dowel rod with a small groove in the end makes it a lot easier than trying to get my hands down in there.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
All lamps are rated by hours. For example the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras are rated for 1000 hours.

That is why it is recommended to change both at the same time. If one failed you are on borrowed time with the other one.

However, as always, do what you feel is best.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Our '03 failed it's first bulb (on the road), and not knowing that they typically fail about the same time only one was changed. The other side lasted about 6 months longer.

Fast forward to this spring. One of the low beams again requires replacement - this time I intentionally only replaced the failed bulb (but the second is being carried on the bike).

I'm intending to get separation in when the LH/RH failures are expected, in hopes that the bike does not end up with 2 failed bulbs during the same evening ride.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Farmguy,
You nailed it!!

"I'm intending to get separation in when the LH/RH failures are expected, in hopes that the bike does not end up with 2 failed bulbs during the same evening ride"

Thanks! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts