GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coming soon?

from gizmag..
"Although many of us don't know how we ever managed without our car navigation systems, they are not without their flaws. For one thing, when that voice says "Turn left in 100 meters," you may find yourself looking out the windshield and wondering "Does that mean this left turn, or the one just past it?" The Wikitude Drive augmented reality navigation app is designed to address these problems, by overlaying directional arrows on real-time video of the road in front of you.."

Dennis

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Don't most GPS's now tell you the street name and have lane assist on them? My 755 does abd it's not an expensive unit.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Don't ALL GPS show how the road is turning????

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I don't have any trouble judging 100 meters or 500 feet or one-tenth of a mile, so this technical 'breakthrough' is not of much use to me.

Plus there is the notion that automation breeds complacency and that thinking is a skill that requires exercise to maintain. But that's a bit beyond the scope of this topic.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This "heads up" GPS is not so much about better "where/when to turn" directions..
..it is about yet another neat example of augmented reality that will supplement GPS awareness.

The display on the screen is not a virtual rendition of your location,
it is a view of your actual location as provided by the video camera..
.. then, the GPS is superimposing the course "track" over the video image.

I'm not aware of any GPS "program" that is currently implementing that kind of display rendition.

Blaupunkt has a "hardware" GPS that does this (expen$$ive).

My post was to let those that might be interested that there will soon be an android app that will be able to do this.

The Blaupunkt video shows their augmented reality GPS side by side with a "regular" GPS...
.. here:
http://youtu.be/9ImHWE8AVLY

... or this one is a good example too:
http://youtu.be/7KFHDmaVCFk

Dennis

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Next a laser will paint a turn-arrow on the road ahead of you in front of the bike. And it will be just as useful and commercially successful as the laser virtual keyboard was.

Sometimes, you just have to know the limit of how much the public wants technology.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts