GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday night I pulled the 175-60 off. It had roughly 9500 miles on it. As I have posted, I really like the way the tire felt , especially in the twisties, almost identical to a bike tire.

Probably about 3k of those miles were on the slab or four lanes, the rest in the mountains (curvy roads).

The tire performed very well. It gave me all the benefits of a run-flat CT with the bike-tire-like handling.

While I am still very confident in the tire, I'm not 100% confident and here's why. The tread part of the tire is at 3/32nds or 1/32nd before the wear bars. Not a problem and about what I expected. However, it shows a lot of wear down on the sidewall.

The wear is on the edge of the prolific siping (it's a winter tire) but also between the end of the tread and the lettering on the sidewall. Other CTs have worn on the edge of the tread but not this far down on the sidewall.

The wear down on the sidewall concerns me a little. Plus, the edge of the tread, where there is a lot of siping, is feathered...or at least that what I call it. You can see it from a few feet away.

I can only attribute the wear to the fact that it is smaller than others I have used. Just a guess, though.

As I said, it is still performing flawlessly, but I don't compromise, when it comes to shoes for the big girl. I never run a tire past the wear bars.

I want to emphasize that I still think this is a great tire for normal riding with "some" spirited twisty riding for anyone wanting the benfits of a RF CT with bike-tire handling. But, if the majority of it's use will be "cooking" in the curves, there might be a better choice.

I'm sure the tire would last another 2-3k miles under me, but I'm ready to try something else.

BTW, don't let my mileage scare you away from this tire, I only get about 10k from bike tires too.

Now, I have to decide between the non-RF Dunnie 195-60 or the Khumo RF.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Trialsman,
Thanks for the report card on the Dunlop 175. Almost went with that one, but decided on the Kumho. Glad I did as, to me, it has the characteristics of a m/c tire with all the advantages of the run-flat. Being a moderate rider, mostly 2-up, and probably just a distant headlight in your rear view mirror, I do have to say that the Kumho is my choice. For you it may be different, though. JMHO Thanks for all your input and we'll get together sometime. Semper-fi Mike

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
How about some pics! If you run the Kumho next, interested to hear more.

·
Registered
260 Posts
195/60 Dunlop Winter SP Sport 5000 all weather

Trailsman, I hope you choose to evaluate this tire next. I am almost ready to cross over to the dark side and it looks like it will be between the 175/60 you just ran or this 195/60 Nando is talking about. Now I am confussed as to which one to start with. I have been following the test postings trying to narrow it down. I have enjoyed all the good info you guys have put out on here, keep up the good work !

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Paul thanks for the candid report...I am glad I didn't play follow the leader with this tire...I wonder what the sidewall would look like after being on my bike. :eek:4:

Can you send me any pic's,and I'll post them here??

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Paul, you brute!
....you tore the cheeta out of those tires did'nt you? :cool: atta boy!

got pics?

The only Kumho I could locate on tirerack was a 195/55 non-runflat (summer)...whatyu tal'nk 'bout?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Thanks for the report. I have not seen the tire but have heard about it and seems like it may not be the strongest tire on the board.. I have that light truck tire on mine and its load rated way up there, almost 2000 lbs.. It does track a bit in low spots but it sure do go around curves very well and even dragging the pegs, it has not showed any wear past the rounded out corner of the tire.

Again, thanks for the report

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just looked at mine, you must be running a LOT faster than I am. I just got back from some very twisted roads and I didn't mark the sidewalls. There is some scuff marks but they don't extend to where the tread wrap around ends. But then, here in Amarillo we don't have any twisty roads to ride, we have to go a long ways to find them, so if the flat part wears well, I'm sticking with it.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kinky, you may be right and I need to clarify a little more perhaps.

This tire will work great for most 1800 owners as it did for me for almost 10k miles. It still has life in it but it is to a point that I'm not 100% with it.

I do tend to lay it over more than many do. I'm sure that's the reason for the wear on the sides. I have yet to wear out the tread in the middle of any CT I've owned.

Even when my CTs are on the straight, they're being subjected to some abuse. I like to "leave" stop signs, practice panic stops and an occasional wheelie or burnout.

I suspect that anyone who rides it primarily on straight roads could easily get 15-20k out of it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I suppose an aggressive rider would get the tire up to the point where the tread wrap around contacts the sidewall .

My tire has 4200 miles on it or so now, and I just went out and sat down behind it and took a good look at it. Seems I do turn right a bit harder than left, but there is no wear or contact patch within 5/8 of an inch from the tread turnout termination to the sidewall. The tire is wearing well, performing well, and honestly still looks new. I never measured the tread when new, should have, but to me it still looks new.

So guess I am a normal rider :joke: I really do at this point like the tire, time will tell I suppose, just how far it will go and how it will wear.

I like the tire enough, if I had to put a new one on twice a year I would, getting them is the only thing that it hard to do, hard to find them.

Kit

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kit, I got mine through Discount Tire and the guy entered all the information into the local store computer and told me that the next one would not be a problem as it was all set up.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit, I got mine through Discount Tire and the guy entered all the information into the local store computer and told me that the next one would not be a problem as it was all set up.
Hopefully we will soon have a discount tire in Columbia, South Carolina. It is under construction. At the moment we have to go all the way to Greenville, South Carolina or Atlanta Georgia.

The other tire stores, simply peer at their computer, and make no effort to even find the tire. Not interested, not even if you tell them hey, want to make a 20 dollar tip, go find me that tire. Nope we do not have it, can not get it, not interested type of thing.

Some of the same attitude others have ran into in some areas.

Kit

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Tom,
The reason why you use a truck tire is clear: You own a Wingabego.

If I ever need to move, would you help me? I think all my furniture should fit in your trailer. :lol:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Trialsman,

How dare you dis my new favorite tire! You will crash in a flame of disaster if you use any tire other than the one I choose!

My real anger with you is how you managed to rack up 9,500 miles on your tire when you got it after me and I haven't put on that many. Especially riding through the winter in those Georgia mountains. Then again, I did put you on a snow tire!

The winter has been mild. I only missed one day of work due to snow. The next day, I had to negotiate an iced-over curve on the driveway and laid it down on the engine guards. Even then, the front slipped out but the back was solid. The bike was not over far enough to trigger the lean angle kill-switch so it was idleing along pushing the bike even as it was on the guards. It finally shut down, I found a ridge to stand the bike back up against, and I rode off down the ice.

Most of my driving is commuting on two and three lane roads so I don't get much twisty in. I do have two long sweepers I like to play on. I was settled in at 80mph on my 205. The 175 lets me go to 100. The road surface has some waviness and a couple 12" metal expansion seams. At 100, I'm getting a little nervous but the bike has more in it.

I have noticed the car tires like me to hang off the bike a little in the sweepers. I get about half my butt off the seat with my outside leg all along the side and seat. My inside knee rests against the fairing. It's not as dramatic as I've seen but it helps the rear tire settle in.

I'll try to remember to check my sidewalls for wear.

Last summer, I ended up splurging for a jet-ski so I've been spending a lot of weekend time with my girlfriend following dolphins around the coast. It's fun touring on it but it goes through the 18 gallon tank of gas in 90 miles. 'Kind of hard to score an iron-butt.

Ride safe out there.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
crazy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts