GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the front section of the belly pan (to change oil); discovered 10-12 small (1/16"-1/8") pebbles/cinders wedged in the "overlap" between the front and back sections. Yes, it was installed correctly with the front section of the pan overlapping the back section. All joints were tight and the pan sections were snug against each other.

This lead me to wonder what, if anything, was sitting inside the main section of the pan. I removed it and found two cinders both 1/4" in diameter - big enough to rub a hole in the water coolant tank (if they had been in that area, which they were not).

I also discovered that the pan itself had several holes (approx. 20% of the thickness of the pan) created by the irregular high spots where the engine casing is mated together at the very bottom. I filed down the high spots, should stop the grinding on the pan.

Lastly, the four washers used where the pan is bolted to the bike were heavily corroded (green) and need to be replaced. The belly pan has only been on 3 months and 3000 miles. I'm thinking of replacing them with plastic or aluminum washers...any ideas here?

One look at the very bottom of the pan, where it faces the road is enough to make me thankful I have it, and I will continue to use it. However, a removal and inspection at oil change time seems to be prudent maintenance.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just don't understand. The high velocity flow of air should have blown all that stuff right out of there. :? :roll:

Seriously! Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Sounds like you have it too close to the engine.
Loosen the 4 side bolts and lower the pan away from the engine a bit. :D

later..Randy

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I'm trying to figure out where these washers are...the ones your talking about. The only washers I have are under the four acorn nuts holding the exhaust cover which in turn fastens the belly pan...they are already aluminum and I find it hard to see them corroding. Did the washers your talking about come with the belly pan? Mine didn't come with any additional washers...just wondering.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You sure you pan is the Tulsa Pan and not a copy by some other maker?

·
Registered
19,048 Posts
I have a Tulsa Pan. It is not adjustable. You screw the two screws and go. AND I find small pebbles in the bottom of my pan on EVERY INSPECTION. So what?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I always find pebbles and bits of asphalt trapped in my belly pan when I have the occasion to remove it. No big deal. I think they enter from the sides of the front part pan where it meets the back and creates a sort of "V".

I also believe the washers on the acorn nuts are fiber, not copper or aluminum.

Finally, I do have some scuff marks on the underside of the pan where it contacts the bottom of the engine, but clearly nothing even close to being worn through.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tulsa pan

If you are looking for washers that won't corrode go your local Lowes or Home Depot etc. and get stainless steel ones, they also have nylon if yoou prefer. Tom

·
Registered
384 Posts
uncletheoden,
This is the first time I've ever heard of any problem with pebbles or significant wear from engine components. There may be some "shiney" spots from contact, but, to my knowledge, in the over 15 years the Belly Pan has been on the market there hasn't been any damage to the Belly Pan like you describe.

I'm sure that it is possible under certain conditions, but, it is not a normal occurance.

Checking it during oil change is probably a good idea, if you have a compressor, just blow any debris out or if you use water to wash the bike wash the top of the Belly Pay off with the hose to remove the debris.

The pebbles are coming in from the front tire, throught the cowling and openings in the front corners.

The "greenish" color from the washers is normal, they are NOT corroded! they are some kind of special crush washer for that area, maybe because of the exhaust heat. They really should be replace with the factory washers.

DO NOT USE plastic!!! too much heat!
Regards
Allen
Tulsa Enterprises

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Jeepers...what are they building these Goldwings out of if a little old piece of asphalt is gonna wear a hole right through my engine. ?

If my engine case is gonna git worn clear thru by ah pebble, I'm a gonna git me a lottery ticket too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Belly Pan

Don't have a belly pan, but have been considering one. SS washers should help w/the dicoloration/corrosion problem.

Check into installing a front fender extension. This may help reduce your gravel colleting tendencies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Belly Pan

Gunny said:
Don't have a belly pan, but have been considering one. SS washers should help w/the dicoloration/corrosion problem.

Check into installing a front fender extension. This may help reduce your gravel colleting tendencies.
Before installing a fender extension you might want to read the threat about the front fender extension at http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=68591

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey wing stuff has a great price on the belly pan now,on the web-site
it showed i believe 56 dollars, but in wing world they are 37 bucks.bobkat

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
You mean y'all don't take the Belly Pan off every week and polish it to a high luster :?: :?: :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
The washers in question above came off the bike. They are fiberous in composition and light green in color. Part # 18292-KBR-000 for 01-03 and PN 18293-MCA-003 on 04 & up. They are there to help prevent heat transfer from the exhaust pipe attach point and the metal that touches same. Either the lower side panel or the Tulsa bellypan. As far as small stones etc. forgetaboutit.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I started to install one last night, and found washers on one side only! Because the instructions from Tulsa seemed to make an issue of the washers ("be careful not to lose the washers.") I halted the install and called them this morning. According to their tech, the washers are fiber (or crush washers) and Honda often fails to include them! He said not to be concerned about the washers because the flange on the nuts were more than sufficient.

My conclusion is that so long as the flange nuts are, in fact, wide enought to be secure - which I will determine when I install the pan tonight - that's good enough for me. If not, Home Depot or OSH will get a visit for a very small purchase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts