GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the front section of the belly pan (to change oil); discovered 10-12 small (1/16"-1/8") pebbles/cinders wedged in the "overlap" between the front and back sections. Yes, it was installed correctly with the front section of the pan overlapping the back section. All joints were tight and the pan sections were snug against each other.

This lead me to wonder what, if anything, was sitting inside the main section of the pan. I removed it and found two cinders both 1/4" in diameter - big enough to rub a hole in the water coolant tank (if they had been in that area, which they were not).

I also discovered that the pan itself had several holes (approx. 20% of the thickness of the pan) created by the irregular high spots where the engine casing is mated together at the very bottom. I filed down the high spots, should stop the grinding on the pan.

Lastly, the four washers used where the pan is bolted to the bike were heavily corroded (green) and need to be replaced. The belly pan has only been on 3 months and 3000 miles. I'm thinking of replacing them with plastic or aluminum washers...any ideas here?

One look at the very bottom of the pan, where it faces the road is enough to make me thankful I have it, and I will continue to use it. However, a removal and inspection at oil change time seems to be prudent maintenance.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thank you for the tips. I would use a small aluminum crush washers where the pan mounts to the exhaust nubs. The belly pan makes for a great rock catcher, so it is important that a person empty it from time to time unless you want a rock to wear through the pan or through your engine case.

·
Registered
307 Posts
azblackbird said:
The belly pan makes for a great rock catcher, so it is important that a person empty it from time to time unless you want a rock to wear through the pan or through your engine case.
Looks like I have a project to do this weekend! I've had a belly pan on my 2001 ever since Tulsa designed one for the 1800, and have never removed the main section of the pan. Yikes! You've got me worried at what I might find.

·
Registered
384 Posts
uncletheoden,
This is the first time I've ever heard of any problem with pebbles or significant wear from engine components. There may be some "shiney" spots from contact, but, to my knowledge, in the over 15 years the Belly Pan has been on the market there hasn't been any damage to the Belly Pan like you describe.

I'm sure that it is possible under certain conditions, but, it is not a normal occurance.

Checking it during oil change is probably a good idea, if you have a compressor, just blow any debris out or if you use water to wash the bike wash the top of the Belly Pay off with the hose to remove the debris.

The pebbles are coming in from the front tire, throught the cowling and openings in the front corners.

The "greenish" color from the washers is normal, they are NOT corroded! they are some kind of special crush washer for that area, maybe because of the exhaust heat. They really should be replace with the factory washers.

DO NOT USE plastic!!! too much heat!
Regards
Allen
Tulsa Enterprises

1 - 5 of 5 Posts