GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is it sometimes my Apple CarPlay connects on the first try, and others it almost refuses to connect. Before the last update I wasn’t having as much trouble. The sequence I use is
Start bike
Turn on headset
Plug in phone.

My headset is paired to the bike, and is not paired to the phone, I don’t think. Phone is not paired to bike. I have the Scala Rider G9 from Cardo, and although it’s older, it has been working.
Does anyone else, with newer headsets, have trouble getting Apple CarPlay to start up?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My phone is paired to the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read that you are not to pair the phone to the bike, because it gets plugged in with the USB cable. I guess I should have stated that I have an IPhone XS Max. The update was supposed to address problems with this phone specifically but if anything it has made mine more problematic. Don’t get me wrong, I can always get it to work, it just takes many attempts sometimes. Then, sometime it works on the first try. I just wondered if there is anyone else haveing similar issues, and with the same phone. Or if there are any fixes.

·
Registered
420 Posts
One thing I noticed was after riding in sunny weather, the phone will overheat and not work once it is disconnected. I had that happen a few times till it cooled down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine will fail to connect even when first getting the bike out of the garage sometimes, others it’s after I’ve stopped and am getting back on the bike to leave. It’s defi not a heat issue. It’s just frustrating to be ready to go, and you have to keep plugging and unplugging the phone trying to get CarPlay fired up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
F6Brian,
Try:
Start bike
Connect phone
Power up headset

Also, verify you have the latest software from Cardo. I have the packtalk and believe that is the formula that I use for the most consistent connection success.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do you ever have trouble getting yours to connect?
No I don’t. I start bike, connect phone, wait about 5-10 seconds or so and then add the headset and everything is good to go. I have noticed that since the January update to the Wing that the headset pairs stupid fast. I barely had the chin strap done and it was connected. I have the iPhone X just so you have more data for comparison.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Weird, on my MAX it's been fantastic since the last updates (iOS 12.1.4 AND newest Honda Navi Update). I spoke extensively with Honda and Apple before said updates, both said the other would be responsible for fixing, and it WAS fixed after both updates, so *shrug* I still blame Honda :)

My order:
- Turn on bike (just on - can start or not start it, no difference), wait for splash screens to complete.
- Turn on headset, wait to see its connection icon on top of the screen. Wait a couple more seconds.
- Plug in iPhone, and CarPlay starts up nearly instantly.

Any deviation from this order will possibly result in multiple attempts of plugging in for successful connection. No deviation from the order (so far) has had 100% success. This is also what I did before the MAX came out and it worked perfectly until the new phone happened.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use the same startup procedure as Order66 and it works every time. My iPhone is paired to the bike and not the headset because I want to use the left controls on the bike for volume or pause, etc. and not have to feel for buttons on the headset. The problem I see is when I ride through a dead zone and loose connectivity and may have to reboot the headset. The Cardo PacTalk will reconnect but I loose Apple CarPlay. It would be REALLY NICE if Honda can have the Apple CarPlay automatically reconnect without having to stop the bike and start the procedure all over again. I would like to see everything automatically reconnect if I do not unplug the iPhone from the bike when I shut the bike down for a break.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Why is it sometimes my Apple CarPlay connects on the first try, and others it almost refuses to connect. Before the last update I wasn’t having as much trouble. The sequence I use is
Start bike
Turn on headset
Plug in phone.

My headset is paired to the bike, and is not paired to the phone, I don’t think. Phone is not paired to bike. I have the Scala Rider G9 from Cardo, and although it’s older, it has been working.
Does anyone else, with newer headsets, have trouble getting Apple CarPlay to start up?
Thanks in advance.
We are a 'mixed' family....:grin2:

One apple.
One Android.

We have the newer (but now also discontinued) G9x headsets.

We each ride 2 bikes, and bought the G9x model about 5 years ago for bike-to-bike.

Anyway, no issues getting CarPlay to connect as long as the correct sequence followed.

Only issue was we can think of is to also make sure that phone is unlocked.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Well, I wonder which sequence is right, or all of them???? I have a set of Sena on the way.

prs

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, I wonder which sequence is right, or all of them???? I have a set of Sena on the way.

prs
I can tell you that with my iPhone XR and Sena 20S the only way to get CarPlay to connect is to have the headset connected to the bike first. Doesn't seem to matter in what sequence the headset and bike are turned on as long as they are connected before I plug in the phone. If I do it that way it always seems to work. If the phone is plugged in and I then turn on the bike or the headset it never works. YMMV

Marc

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I checked my phone and it is iPhone 7+; what ever that means. Time will tell. With my cheap bluetooth ear buds, I have to connect as you say.

prs

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the iPhone XS and Sena 20S EVO. Start bike, turn on headset. Once I hear the radio come through the headset .... THEN I plug the iPhone in. Works every time. HOWEVER if you are in an area with bad cell reception it can affect the CarPlay working.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Also if riding in an area of spotty reception like here in the Ocala National Forest in Florida - reception sometimes cuts out. Usually comes back on by itself but not always.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven’t gotten to ride it to really test it out but I think I’ve found the problem. I had my headset and phone before I had my Wing. I still had my headset paired to my phone! I’ve tested it in the garage a few times and it’s worked great since I deleted the headset from my phone pairing. I gues they were fighting over which one got to pair up. If the stupid rain would ever quit, I might get to try it out a little better. Thanks for all the helpful replys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts