GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typed a whole bunch of what's happening but have tried so many different things I can't remember what I have done for sure so I erased it. Everything I think.:serious:
Using Packtalk Bolds.

Long story short, passenger headset music from bike cuts in and out badly. Bad enough that you can't listen to it. I have changed/swapped everything I can think of, headsets, which headset is paired as rider/passenger etc. Also reset headsets. Occasionally rider's cuts out but not bad.

I'm thinking maybe Bluetooth antenna problem on bike? I see bike has 3 Bluetooth antennas. Maybe rear one as I would imagine that's the passenger one? Anyone know where these plug in? I'm going to check those connections first.

Maybe problem with passenger channel?

However it only seems to do it when both helmets are hooked up. Maybe bike Bluetooth is overloaded. Sorry not electronic savvy so don't know if that even makes sense.

Have turned passenger headset off on bike and she can listen to Bluetooth music from her phone fine. (phones were turned off for everything prior to this)

Ideas?

·
Registered
468 Posts
If your Packtalk (PT) is turning the mic on then hers will cut out. Even if it is picking up wind noise, hers will cut out.
Have you updated the headsets on the PT website?
Go here, https://www.cardosystems.com/support/
, scroll down, register your PTs, if you haven’t already and then on that same page you can update the firmware.

You can tune the settings with the PT hooked up to the computer after installing firmware.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick

I have registered them and updated to the latest update.

It's definitely not the normal cut out/down like from VOX or noise, we're familiar with that. It's a complete cutout of the music. Sometimes even makes a static type noise when it does it. Almost sounds like a loose speaker wire, however it works fine from the phone and does it on both helmets. Sometimes for just an instant sometimes for a couple seconds. Can still talk over the intercom too.

I have checked and cleaned the connections where they clip on to the helmet also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You probably don’t want to hear this, but I tried Packtalk Bolds and fortunately purchased them from Amazon with a liberal return policy. I sent them back. I experienced the same issues with my headset cutting in and out. Also, the things were cantankerous sometimes connecting to the bike, and when I talked to my wife via the intercom, Packtalk refused to transfer back to music unless I restarted it. I updated both units, yet the issues persisted. I now have Sena 20s EVO's and they worked perfectly from the start.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Have any 2018+ GL rider friends you could do some testing with? May or may not have something to do with the bike.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
468 Posts
You probably don’t want to hear this, but I tried Packtalk Bolds and fortunately purchased them from Amazon with a liberal return policy. I sent them back. I experienced the same issues with my headset cutting in and out. Also, the things were cantankerous sometimes connecting to the bike, and when I talked to my wife via the intercom, Packtalk refused to transfer back to music unless I restarted it. I updated both units, yet the issues persisted. I now have Sena 20s EVO's and they worked perfectly from the start.
I’ve not had any issues with mine at all, maybe a bad batch. Connects right up with the bike, no issues. So I’m not sure it’s the Packtalk bold.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I’ve not had any issues with mine at all, maybe a bad batch. Connects right up with the bike, no issues. So I’m not sure it’s the Packtalk bold.
Ditto.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know anyone else with 18 Wing, but that's a good idea. Maybe I can schedule a demo ride somewhere. Hmm?

Going to pull seat today and look around,

I also have heated gear wire run down left side of seat to rear and Show Chrome fuse block installed. Wonder if either of those could interfere?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Typed a whole bunch of what's happening but have tried so many different things I can't remember what I have done for sure so I erased it. Everything I think.:serious:
Using Packtalk Bolds.

Long story short, passenger headset music from bike cuts in and out badly. Bad enough that you can't listen to it. I have changed/swapped everything I can think of, headsets, which headset is paired as rider/passenger etc. Also reset headsets. Occasionally rider's cuts out but not bad.

I'm thinking maybe Bluetooth antenna problem on bike? I see bike has 3 Bluetooth antennas. Maybe rear one as I would imagine that's the passenger one? Anyone know where these plug in? I'm going to check those connections first.

Maybe problem with passenger channel?

However it only seems to do it when both helmets are hooked up. Maybe bike Bluetooth is overloaded. Sorry not electronic savvy so don't know if that even makes sense.

Have turned passenger headset off on bike and she can listen to Bluetooth music from her phone fine. (phones were turned off for everything prior to this)

Ideas?
So here's our setup with our packtalk bolds and we have no problems. My wife and I are able to talk without initiating any type of "intercom." Just start talking. When one of us is talking, the volume on the music drops so we can talk. When we quit talking, volume resumes. We ride full face helmets so we have no VOX problems. If you are riding open face, that may be an issue as once the mic picks up something the music volume drops.

I'd start with a clean slate. Delete all pairings, etc.

1. Pair the rider headset to the bike using the phone slot.
2. Pair the passenger headset to the bike using the phone slot.
3. do not pair any headsets to phones, only to the bike.
4. Pair the headsets to each other in DMC mode.

That's it. Startup is always the same. Start the bike. Once it is up and running, turn the headsets on. If I want to hook my phone to the bike, I do so by the USB plug after the headsets are on. I do not have my phone paired to the bike, only the headsets. Select your desired source and go.

Not sure if that is going to be helpful if you've tried everything. Maybe you're close to someone here on the forum and you can get together and help out.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
When pairing anything to your bluetooth device (doesn't matter which brand) make sure all other bluetooth devices in the area (other phones, etc) are turned off or have the bluetooth turned off. Pair one at a time and test each one. Most folks try to pair too many devices or they pair them in the wrong order or to the wrong channel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts