GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pair of Hondaline headsets came with the 05 GW and I thought I caught a lucky break not having to get new ones.

The passenger one works fine, but after trial and error in testing, it seems the lower cord on the drivers headset is inoperative. Replacing the cord is around $50, but I also read product reviews that these cords do fail from time to time so I am reticent to spend money for possible future problems.

So, I think I am going for a new drivers headset. My choice has narrowed to J&M and Edsets. It turns out Edsets are a bit cheaper - based on models I prefer - because the lower cord with the J&M is an additional sum. With Edsets, the two part cord is included.

Plus, I have read here that the customer service happens to be exceptional with Ed.

Only question I have for Ed when I call Monday to order is:
1. Will the different brands of headsets btwn passenger and me, will there be any issues?
2. When solo riding, I also like to listen to my IPod. Can the Edset plug in somehow so I can hear it through the headset? How about us both driver and passenger hearing it?

Also, the bike has what looks to be a Big Bike passgner PTT/volume control attached to the grab handle. It's pretty frayed (and one wire is cut) but seems to work. The seller said he had this so his wife could have a yak-fest directly to the passenger of another Wing in their driving group. Does anyone know if this feature effects the voice-activated intercom between driver (me) and passenger (wife)?

Just curious.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Yes, There will be a noticeable difference between the rider and passenger by mixing Edsets and J&M. Edsets have higher output microphones. Since you have a passenger audio controller however, you should be able to balance them out.

The Honda headsets are actually made by J&M. I prefer the Edsets due to the higher output mike, the lower cost, and the fact that every part of the headset is available and replaceable by the user, at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
182 Posts
build you a set not to hard and alot better quality sound

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Go for the J&M elite headset. We have 3 sets and they are excellent! I had the Honda line in my first helmet, and it sounded like crap compared with the new elites! Good luck with your choice! :thumbup:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Headsets

Years ago I purchased the lowest priced J&M headset for my first wing. Never had a single problem with it and the sound quality, having spent 40 years in a collision repair shop, was fine for me. I decided when I replaced my helmet that it was time for an "upgrade" and purchased one of the J&M mid-priced sets. Should have kept the cheapie. After numerous problems, all of which J&M tried to repair at no charge to me, I purchased "Air Rider" headsets. Been 6 years now and they still work great and never a problem. Yeah, if I had to replace today would go with "Air Rider" again. Ride safe, Dave

·
Registered
388 Posts
I will 2nd the airrider choice, I have had them since 2003 with no problems. I did have a set of J&M's in my Arai', but the sound to me was not as clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts