GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy two full faced headsets for my '06 Goldwing. I need some advise on what's good, what to stay away from and what's the best bang for the buck. I looked at what Honda has to offer and I'm a bit concerned that the speakers may be too deep and cause too much pressure against the ear. In my previous bike, I used an Autocom system and the speakers were fairly thin.

Also, what's the best mount to use for an XM radio?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I use a Hoon mount for my XM and it has worked well. During Hals last sale I bought a Nolan 102. It's a flip face and so far has been very comfortable. Except for the normal fogging, it is better than I thought it would be. For the sound I added Edsets. I have to confess that I have always used J&M and didn't expect much from the Edsets. Surprise!! The sound is SUPERIOR! The 102 and the Edsets make a great combo and I would purchase both again

·
Registered
872 Posts
I started out with J & M headsets, the deluxe version and was disappointed in two things:
the sound was a bit tinny, and twice the small pins that plug into the helmet end broke off. These pins are very small, unlike the pins at the opposite end. A poor design.

Eventually we went with IMC, at less than half the price, smaller mic and earphones, and better quality sound.
IMC cost less than $100 per set.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My only experience has been with Ed Sets, and I would recommend them.

The price is reasonable, and the system is easy to install. Also, the service is top-notch. I have exchanged a boom mic for a full-face mic, due to my own mistake, and Ed Sets sent me the new mic at no charge before I had even mailed the boom mic back. I haven't had any problems with mine yet, knock on wood, but I also like the fact that if any one part goes bad, you can simply unplug the bad part and replace it. No need to remove the entire system from the helmet or take the helmet in for repairs.

Since this is all I have had, I can't compare sound quality.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'll second the IMC headsets vote. Their audio is by far better than the J&M "top of the line." Bass is cleaner, if a bit overboosted. Mids have more clarity, and highs actually exist. Other people say the mic is clear, too, but wind noise above 65 is prominent.

However, I'm trying to use the Shure earbuds now, thanks to the extremely noisy Caberg Justissimo helmet. Their sound is even better than the IMC and they block most of the external noise.

Aside: I rode a full day without the earbuds and my ears rang loudly for 2 days afterwards. Now, I just have to figure out how to get the earbuds to be comfortable all day. :) Guess I'll need to get the custom work done.

David M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts