GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the J & M website that they expect their headsets to be installed according to some specific standard in order to produce the best sound. I was hoping they had a downloadable pdf or something that explains how they want them installed but was unable to find such a thing. No response for a request for install info.

Could somebody tell me what J & M considers the correct way to install these things in a full face helmet?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Proper installation means the center of the speaker is directly in line with your ear canal (not forward, rear, up or down). The easiest way to determine the location is the put on your helmet and slide your finger up between the ear and the side and make an indentation in the foam. I find it's easier to use your right index finger under your left ear so you an bend your finger towards the side of the helmet and use you finger nail to make the mark. Pull the helmet off and find the mark you made, place the center of the Velcro that holds the speaker there and center the speaker on the Velcro.

Another thing they want but I find annoying is to space the speaker out so it's as close to you ear as possible. For most it means finding the happy medium between ideal placement and being able to put on the helmet without catching your ear on the speaker.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Proper installation means the center of the speaker is directly in line with your ear canal (not forward, rear, up or down). The easiest way to determine the location is the put on your helmet and slide your finger up between the ear and the side and make an indentation in the foam. I find it's easier to use your right index finger under your left ear so you an bend your finger towards the side of the helmet and use you finger nail to make the mark. Pull the helmet off and find the mark you made, place the center of the Velcro that holds the speaker there and center the speaker on the Velcro.

Another thing they want but I find annoying is to space the speaker out so it's as close to you ear as possible. For most it means finding the happy medium between ideal placement and being able to put on the helmet without catching your ear on the speaker.

Thanks for that explanation. I wondered that myself. :thumbup:

W

·
0 Posts
J & m

J & M will install the headsets for you if you send them your helmet. You would have to contact them to see how much they would charge for that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
let a pro install your headsets

they will function much better

sierra or cyclegadgets have a send in program

or either has a free install if you buy them there

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
So when you send a helmet in to have a pro do the install, how do they know where to align the speakers to the ear canal? Do you get instructions ahead of time to mark the spot?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
So when you send a helmet in to have a pro do the install, how do they know where to align the speakers to the ear canal? Do you get instructions ahead of time to mark the spot?
You beat me to it. The reality is when the speakers are installed by someone not across the counter from you they simply put them in the center of the pocket in the helmet. That's probably OK 80% of the time but just because a "professional" installed them doesn't mean it's done right.

BTW the term professional simply means someone makes their living doing a particular function, it doesn't make them an expert or even qualified for that matter.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I had mine 'professionally installed' by wingstuff. Never really thought to much of J&M headsets. No bass, tinny sound and that was with the Top of the line 584 headsets. I'm going to have to start tweaking to see if they will ever sound like a good set of $6.99 headphones do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Both of the HJC helmets that we have came with "pockets" that the J&M speakers fit perfectly in to. I honestly don't know if that's what they were for, but they work perfectly for my wife and I. Neither the helmets nor the headset instructions made any mention of these "pockets". I found them while trying to figure out how to remove the "guts" of my helmet. Finding made the install of the headsets a piece of cake!

·
Registered
233 Posts

Bought the Nolan N42's with the J&M 584 headsets installed from Sierra Electronics and they were above my ears. If I try to put them down inline with my ear canals they hit the area where the chin strap is attached. I guess I'm built weird or is this normal?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now wait a minute....They want me to send them the helmet and headset so thay can do THIS???????? And CHARGE me for it???????????

There's gotta be more to it than this. If all they wanted you to do was line the speaker up with your ear, surely they would have just said so.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Agree - I drove over to Sierra and had them install mine in my Shoei X11 and my wifes Arai vector. I think they charged $50 for the labor to install (2) headsets. Well worth the trip if you are close (to Dayton Ohio) - or ship them.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Bought the Nolan N42's with the J&M 584 headsets installed from Sierra Electronics and they were above my ears. If I try to put them down inline with my ear canals they hit the area where the chin strap is attached. I guess I'm built weird or is this normal?
we purchased the very same n42 nolans and the same clampless 584 elites

from sierra

an awesome improvement from the highly over hyped edsets i replaced

for us, they were great

i would rate edsets as one of my poorest buying decisions for a wing

right along with mick-o-pegs

thats what i get for listening to people who write reviews, and have a vested interest in the seller

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
we purchased the very same n42 nolans and the same clampless 584 elites

from sierra

an awesome improvement from the highly over hyped edsets i replaced

for us, they were great

The differences in opinion sure are interesting with some topics.

I bought the 584 Elite when it first came out. I sold them 6 months later. I have had every common model of headset that is discussed on this board, and the J&M headsets have one of the worst, lowest output microphones in the bunch. They always have. The problem exists throughout their line, from the cheapest to the most expensive. It may be a great match for other motorcycles, but it isn't for the Wing. This is why so many people end up having to spend extra money on filters and PTT accessories. The noise is just too annoying.

The 584 has a great set of speakers, but no better than the Air Riders. The EdSets speakers are poor, but being modular, it is very easy to install the speakers you want. And unlike other headsets, you can buy them without the speakers.

From a build quality standpoint, I won't argue that the J&M 584 Elite is among the best.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Yeah, I also find it quite ironic that they talk about how important placement is, yet they install them in a generic, once size fits all location.

Apparently placement becomes less important when they are being paid to do the install.:shrug:

I don't know why anyone would ship a helmet off to have this done. It is a fairly simple install, although it can require a little ingenuity if you want to get the speaker placement perfect.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

thats what i get for listening to people who write reviews, and have a vested interest in the seller
Can't speak to the Edsets but my cheap J&M speakers and microphone work just fine. My mick-o-pegs are the second best thing I have bought for my bike next to replacing the seat. I have no vested interest in any vendor I deal with. Different strokes for different folks Loren.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Coronawithlime, sorry for the "funny" reply. I really did think it was funny. I know you wanted serious replies but just could not help myself. I am glad you got some proper responses.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts